Could it be the Red dye?

I bought Juicy Juice brand Fruit punch flavor in the little pink juice boxes for my DS over a week ago. He had one each morning for 5 days. During that time, he started to act really wacky & VERY hyper. He could not take a nap, had a very hard time going to bed at night & I was up till 11:00 pm with him 4 nights. NOT like him at all. He's 3. The only thing he has been eating/drinking different was the Red Punch juice. I stopped giving it to him for two days & I gave him the Apple flavor as usual & he's back to his little normal self again! I am with him 24/7 so I know when there is something up. Any one else's child have a reaction to red juice?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 3:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• BTW, they have these juice box juice that only have natural sugars that come from the fruits/veggies themselves. I found this stuff called SPLASH that is like V8 fruit/veggie stuff, but I found a diet kind that has very little sugar in it and my son likes it.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Is there more sugar in it? I babysat a kid that couln't have anything with blue dye in it. Made him twitch or something. Different kids have different reactions to things. Does he have anything else with red dye in it and still act normal? I would just stick to the juice that he doesn't go "crazy" after having it. Fruit punch is more crap than juice anyway.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, red dye can cause behavioral issues in some children.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i thought juicy juice was all natural?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 3:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Hi! JGRIMMER, I saw that SPLASH, thanks, I will get it! And, Yes! It may be a blue dye? The label just tells you which fruits are in the juice, no other specifics. Just Apple Juice, Grape Juice & passion fruit juice, natural flavors, ascorbic & citric acid. Also says, No added sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Sugars are 14% , same as the regular apple flavor in the green box. I am throwing that punch away. Poor little guy. Maybe I will give it to DH! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The word natural is meaningless and unregulated.

It could be the high concentration of pesticides, added colors, BPA can liners, and so on...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2010