Jim Webb wants to end divrsity programs, should we?

Virginia Sen. Jim Webb called for ending government-run diversity programs in a newspaper column Friday, saying they have disadvantaged struggling whites and hurt the cause of racial harmony.

Webb wrote an op-ed column in Friday's Wall Street Journal that said a "plethora of government-enforced diversity policies have marginalized many white workers. The time has come to cease the false arguments and allow every American the benefit of a fair chance at the future."

Webb's press secretary, Jessica Smith, said Friday that the senator felt the column speaks for itself and that he would not comment further.

Federal diversity programs now primarily benefit new immigrants over whites and even black Americans, their original beneficiaries, wrote Webb, D-Va.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_virginia_senator_diversity

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Promoting diversity benefits all races and ethnicities. Diversity doesn't mean brown people it means all different kinds of people.

I think he's just afraid of brown people and this is the only solution his little pea brain could come up with.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If the programs have, indeed, become perverted to now not work as initially intended, then yes, they should be changed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Just as unions have passed thier prime so has all this diversity crap. I agree wholeheartedly. You should get the job if you are the qualified candidate, not if you are black, hispanic or a female.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm going to go with the opinion I read recently - they should let people say and do what they want, and their real character will show.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No white guilt and no race baiting except from Webb...

But you just agreed with me on page one that they should lift the restrictions, let people behave the way they want, and let the community hold people responsible if they don't behave accordingly. You didn't think I meant Webb, did you? I was quoting very good advice - instead of stifling people and forcing them to follow a guideline, leave them on their own and let them be accountable for their own actions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with Webb, it's usefulness has long passed.

I thought you believed in equal rights, sweet.

No race should be given higher priority over another.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I always understood and promoted diversity education to be one of cultural awareness. I can see his concern, but I wouldn't recommend ending the programs. The more we can learn about and appreciate the differences the better we will be in the long run. Of course, I tend to view such things from the educator's POV and this does have an effect.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• alright sweet...I won the bet. I knew you would post yet another racebaiting question before I could answer one of your posts. your response right here...wth is that supposed to mean. Racebaiter.

------

ITS THE NEW THING TO DO...OR NOT SO NEW...GET AMERICANS THINKING THEIR MINORITY COUNTERPARTS ARE THE REASON THEY CANT GET JOBS....TAKES THE FOCUS OFF THE POLITICIAN ANS EVERYONE GETS ALL RILED UP...

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yeah, I'm not answering the racebaiting question. Just reminding her that she is racebaiting again, and filled with white guilt.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• and...that she lost the bet. ya'll have a goodnight discussing it...good thing there is no math involved with this one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010