is it unreasonable to allow a 4 year old to fold his laundry

my ds recently turned 4 and has been asking to fold his clothes for over a 6 months. i havent let him cause im anal about it. i want it to be a certain way and i dont think he can do it. but i know he can fold cause he has taken things out of his drawer then changed his mind on what he wanted to wear. so he folds it. how do i allow him to do it without standing over him and saying no no no do it like this?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take one time to sit down and show him how you do it. Then let him do it himself.

I am anal about things like this as well but I've learned to let it go for the sake of my 3.5 year old son's happiness. He also likes to fold his clothes. I tell him he's done a wonderful job and then I'll refold things after he's gone out to play because he doesn't notice it when it's in his drawer. He just likes to help.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• They're his clothes, and kids get them wrinkly after wearing them anyway. I say just hand him his clothes and tell him to put them away.
    My 5 year old has been doing this since she was 3. She would always refold what I folded anyway, so I just stopped folding them at all.
    It's good that he wants to be a part of it, I say let him and ease up on it. :-)
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Well its ok 2b anal but he's askin 2b involved in house chores..its even a bonding time dnt b mean
    I let .y 2yo do hers bcuz regardless she's always changin 3 to 4 xs a dy but its fun havin her helping me
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my 4 and 5 yr old fold their own laundry. But they need a lot of supervision to get it done. And i have to remind them how to fold almost every time.
    But they can do it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Really you should just let him do it especially if it is something that he wants to do cause who knows how much longer he will want to help you around the house. So what if he doesn't do it perfectly it will give him confidence that he can do more and better.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• let him do it if he really wants to. makes him feel really good and you can give him pointers along the way on how to do it more like you. my dd is 6 and she loves to help with laundry, cooking and dusting i just call them my free labor lol
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 4:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• let him try folding his clothes. it will his self-esteem and confidence.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Let him do it. Show him how and then let him. Who cares if it's folded nice and neat, he's 4 years old?

Hell, I hardly even bother to hang up or fold my son's clothes anymore. It's messy yes, but he has so many freaking clothing changes through the day because he's potty training that I'd spend more time hanging them up than I would changing him because I'm having to wash so much.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• trust him. at least he puts his clothes away, mine just tosses it onto the floor or dresser!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You not letting him help and criticizing him is messing up his self esteem! Don't expect him to help out when he's older either cuz he wo t do it good enuff for u anyway!!! Rethink how u act to him. How would u feel if someone made u feel inadequate when all u were doing was trying to help. Poor baby
    CokietheClown

Answer by CokietheClown at 4:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010