Does your kid believe in... (don't open if small child able to read is near) adult content

Does/did your child believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy, and all those?
I'm curious about how other moms feel. I know both religious and non-religious people who do and don't tell their kids about them. Some are religious and say that it's not right to believe in anything or anyone other than God. Non religious people say that they don't teach their kids about God, why teach them about Santa. And I have friends whose kids believe in Santa and Tooth Fairy and their religious views have nothing to do with it.
I am atheist and my daughter (5) believes in all the kid make believe people. Just wondering what other parents think.
It's got the tmi tag because I don't want to be responsible for that kid that does believe looking over Mom's shoulder and saying "why's that lady saying they aren't real". :-)

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No religion in my house, but, Santa and everything else. LOL Until like 10.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes and No.
    I do my best never to lie to my children. That includes Santa, the Tooth Fairy. etc. So i have told them that these things are not real but that some parents tell their children they are real because they think it's fun. So they need to mind their own business. ...Well, both my sons have decided to pretend they are real.
    So, at Christmas time we tell them to get to bed so Santa can come. When DS1 lost his first teeth I told him to hide them under his pillow for the tooth fairy to come. They know it's me. But it's fun to pretend. They still get to have the joy of believing and i feel it's better because it is their CHOICE to believe. ...and i get to have the joy of playing along.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ok as a Christian and a preschool teacher I love to encourage a child's imagination.....My tooth fairy story....the tooth fairy forgot 3 nights in a row....7 yr old wasnt happy...so I asked...." Did you fart in your sleep?" ....response...." i don't know....why?" Me...." Well if you did they have to send another fairy because it passed out...." Tooth fairy never forgot after that....now when I tell people that story they fall out laughing......so it really is a personal choice.....
    tg2ma

Answer by tg2ma at 4:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• nope. due to his autism he never fell for the fantasies. He's way too literal!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• LOL, I like the warning. That was nice. My son isn't old enough to believe in any of that yet, lol, but I'll encourage it when he's little. That's part of the fun of childhood. Just because I believe in God doesn't mean that he can't believe in magic for the one time in his life when he's actually truly capable of doing so.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I am not religious, but my children believe in God. I do tell them Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc are real. It's fun. IMHO, you're only young once, and won't get to experience that kind of innocence and joy in the little things again (most likely anyway), so I want them to enjoy it while they can. My son is old enough to know that they are not real, and has 'caught" me being the Tooth Fairy, but he never said anything to me. People at school tell him that Santa isn't real, and I tell him he is if you believe in him.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 4:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We did not do those. The children picked them up from relatives and other people, and we did not go out of our way to contradict, but we did not mention them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my son is 4, we play along with the whole santa / tooth fairy / easter bunny thing because it is just fun. i suspect that he is already aware that it cannot be real. but he plays along too. unlike the other response, my son is ALL about fantasies. super heros, magic, etc... but he is also always asking about what is REAL.... he knows the difference between the two.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my kids are 8 5 3 and all three believe in all the make believe and in god. they also know about the greek gods. i want my kids to learn about everything. they also know that santa doesn't come down every chimmney. we have a book that tells the kids he was a preacher before he became santa. then i also have a book called santa and the christ child. it's a good one too read to them too
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We have made a BIG deal about Santa & The Easter Bunny, no tooth fairy yet since he's 3. I think he believes and he gets all goosey and swears he saw the Easter Bunny at the mailbox last Easter eve. I believed until I was like 16. NO....just kidding, but I do remember believing a lot. I will push it for as long as I can, it cracks me up, but he's too smart for his britches already.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010