How much pain is involved in having all of your top teeth removed to get dentures? Is it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• My dad had his teeth removed and he said there wasnt that much pain, they numbed him up pretty good and gave him painkillers. He said that getting use to the dentures took a little time though
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 4:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• well they will pull them, your gums will be a little sore. Then after teeth are pulled, they will make a mold for your teeth. They send it out to the lab, when they come in they will do adjustment so they will be comfortable. Good Luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think that depends on what your pain tolerance level is, how complicated the extractions are, how many you are having out and if you have an immediate denture or wait until you are healed before you get a denture. One thing the dentist I worked for would say was "it is always best to keep your own teeth as long as you can".

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No!!! don't do it if there is another alternative!

Answer by older at 4:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i agree what about vaneers?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Some people like my mom and husband take GREAT Care of their teeth but genetics play a huge role in how your teeth will hold up - I know 2 people with terrible teeth who have considered this, however insurance does not cover it in most cases because its considered cosmetic -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Esmrlda yes, it is easier to take care of your teeth, but some people really just have bad teeth. I know people who have such white teeth like my husband has so much trouble. The reason is his teeth are very soft, He has been going to the dentist since he was 3 years old. You do not know patient history so it is hard to say to someone just take care of your teeth. Lets just wish her luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If you are at the point of having all your teeth removed, or just several teeth, I'd imagine you would be in quite a bit of pain as it is on a regular basis. I had to have a wisdom tooth taken out because it cracked and I was in so much pain. Taking the tooth out caused a little pain and then it went away. it is best to try to keep as many real teeth as you can though but some times its not possible without extreme measures.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My grandma hated her dentures and complained about the pain a lot.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, if you take care of your real teeth then you wouldnt have to do that. Seems easier to take care of your real teeth.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 4:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010