Question about school...

I know I have a couple more years to worry about it, but I was just thinking about it and was curious. Do you have to register your child to attend the school in your neighborhood, or if there are extenuating circumstances, can you register at a different school?

I was just thinking, there is an elementary school that is literally a minute away from my job by car (5 minutes walking). His daycare is a 5 minute drive (less if the light is green). To pick him up after school and then drop him off at his daycare and return to work would take me 10 minutes tops. To pick him up from the school in our neighborhood, drop him off at daycare and return to work would take about 45-50 minutes.

I realize we could just have him bussed, but DH and I decided that we will not be putting him on the bus until he's older. We're not comfortable having other people drive him anywhere.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Where I live (Texas) you can get a waiver to put your child in a different school in the district for almost any reason, but you do have to sign up for it and renew it each year. You can also transfer to a different district here fairly easily; all the districts want as many students as they can get because a lot of their funding is based on attendance.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Some districts have open enrollment. You'll need to call your local school area office.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You can send him to a school in another town, but you will have to pay. One of my relatives has her sone go to a school in a different town because they had all day kindergarden and her town's didn't. She says it's not cheap. You can send him to any pre-school you want because you automatically have to pay for most of those anyway and most are private.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• go talk to the princepal of the school you want. sometimes they help you out alot more that the board of ed.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• you can send them to a school you want them to go to just if it is some place other than your district you have to be able to get them there which means they wont provide a bus for your child. And they can only go to that school if there is an opening meaning after they accept the kids in there district.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My son attends a private school and next year I will register him at his local public school. It is a public Montessori and you have a deadline to apply by for the following school year. Space is limited and no spot is guaranteed. There is an additional charge that regular classes do not have. Our friends pay five hundred a month for their son to attend. I took a tour of our local school when my son was one. Talk about starting early. Before he was here I already picked out my options I narrowed it down to. So in the middle of this school year I will tour the schools I like again, apply, and pick based on the ones I like the best who accept us.  We have school choice in our county and so I look at both public and private programs.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I was just looking into this for my son. Where I live, there is no open enrollment. Your kids have to go to the school district in which you reside. If you want to send your kids to a different school you have to pay their tuition, which is usually around $10,000. However, the private schools in my area are only about $5,000 so we choose to just go the private school route.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh cool. I will do that. :) Thank you.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Well no I meant regular school (elementary). Right now he's in daycare and he'll be in Head Start beginning next month. Fortunately, I was able to choose between two schools that are close my job (I chose the one that is just a HS center--the other one is the elementary school I was referring to). We live in the same town, but it's 15 minutes to get home, 15 minutes to get back (lots of traffic lights to go through because I have to drive through downtown), plus the time to sign him into daycare).

I would have no problem paying extra if I needed to. But since it's a public school, I would hope I wouldn't.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• TweenandTwinMom: I live in TX too. How early do you need to get the waiver? When you register, or before that? If before, how far in advance? If it's something I should do now, I want to get all my eggs in the basket, LOL. Like I said though, I have 2 years before he starts Kindergarten.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010