Illegal Immigration case begins. Off to a good start?

“Why can’t Arizona be as in hospitable as they wish to people who have entered or remained in the United States?” U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked in a pointed exchange with Deputy Solicitor General Edwin S. Kneedler. Her comment came during a rare federal court hearing in the Justice Department’s lawsuit against Arizona and Gov. Jan Brewer (R).
Bolton, a Democratic appointee, also questioned a core part of the Justice Department’s argument that she should declare the law unconstitutional: that it is “preempted” by federal law because immigration enforcement is an exclusive federal prerogative.
“How is there a preemption issue?” the judge asked. “I understand there may be other issues, but you’re arguing preemption. Where is the preemption if everybody who is arrested for some crime has their immigration status checked?”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There's nothing wrong with that darn law. I'm sick of hearing about it. AZ has a problem, and it has a right to fix that problem. I've read the law- it doesn't lead to profiling of any kind. Fear mongering is done on both sides of the fence, you know?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think this is going to go the way of the "mandate to stop drilling" case is going. Though the feds are ignoring the courts ruling, they have been told at least twice that their mandate has no merit. PBO's justice department doesn't do well in court. I think the terms they choose to use are either too broad or too restrictive. AZ's law mirrors the US law. That is going to cause the feds. problems. It will be quite a slap in the face if the case is thrown out before it even starts. Let's pray it will be thrown out. States have the ability to make and enforce their own laws.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sounds pretty good to me!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It should be thrown out.AZ has to do something about the illegal immigration problem.The powers that be would have them as sitting ducks without blinking an eye.They want them with their hands tied but refuse to take action and help and then want to cry and whine about the action AZ takes..please..its the same as the federal law.Too bad the federal law isn't really implemented if it was AZ wouldn't have had to do this in the first damn place.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm for the States to enforce their own laws.

If you do not like it then you move.

I hope the case gets thrown out!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My parents worked their ass off to move us here to the U.S with 5-kids and made it. Most of us who came here legally from S.A., we did the right way and became American citizens. We do not like some of you people who think it is okay to break the law!

Hispanics get treated like low lives because you think we are all illegal. We should only be maids, house keepers, and kept uneducated. The way the school system treats Hispanics is wrong. And it is thanks to you who thinks illegals should be able to break the laws and be Kept like salves to do work no one wants to do?

Shame on you for hurting people who can here legally!

As I see it you liberals hurt more people than you help!

AZ law is right!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• For petes sake, the law has not even gone into effect. I like that she is challenging the aspects of this law.
    Of course it will go to the supreme court in the end. They do not plan to give up on this one. I just hope when this one is thrown out
    other states come in with their laws too.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There already is havoc and innocent people are already in danger from some jumping the border and then committing crimes against innocent folks of AZ.Should nothing be done about that? Protect the illegals but screw the legal citizens?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I was wondering the same thing grly..this law hasn't taken effect yet.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I was just in Arizona. I'm Hispanic. No one looked at me sideways. Cops saw me, they didn't pull me over and harass me, no one asked me my legal status. Could it be because I didn't break any laws?

I have friends and family in AZ. None have complained about harassment, none are particularly worried.

The law hasn't taken effect, and even when it does, I do not believe the majority of police officers are racist. If they aren't racist, this won't be a problem. If they are, they have been all along. Because of Federal law, they have had the ability all along to ask for documentation. Asking for documentation is a normal activity for police officers in all fifty states. Nothing has changed.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010