Do you think they will still hire me?

I've been looking for a job for a while. And this morning I get a call asking me to start tomorrow, I was like yea I'm so excited I will be there. Anyway I got another call right after telling me I had to be there to sign papers for my mom's medical coverage or she is going to lose it. Well she is in a nursing home 2 1/2 hours away and there is no one else to go. I have to go, no way around it. And I also have an appointment Monday to start my son in Montessori school(which I will have to do in order to work because I only have available babysitter on the weekends and do not trust my son with family)
Anyway, I had to call the place that wants to hire me back and told them the situation, the lady didn't sound very happy with me. I really can't get out of any of this but I REALLY need the job. She told me to call her back Monday and she would see what she can do...Do you think they are still going to give me the job?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Hmmm... maybe. Because you backed out of a scheduled appointment, you may be seen as unreliable.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• it depends what kind of job is this? maybe when you called back it was at a bad time. i'm praying you get the job!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• YEA JUST EXPLAIN THE SITUATION TO THEM GIVE THEM A LETTER STATING YOU WHERE THERE THE TIME AND WHY...MAKES SURE THE LETTER IS FROM THEM
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• First off, they gave you VERY short notice on when you were starting, so if you had prior appointments, they can't complain too much. Second, if they told you you could start at such and such a time, obviously they thought you were a good fit for the job, so it may still work out. She may just have been having a bad day. They really should understand that they only gave you a day's notice about starting, and some commitments can't be gotten out of on that short a notice.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Odds are they'll still give you the job. They were really asking a lot of you by giving you such short notice.

If by chance they don't give you the job then I'd say you dodged a bullet by not working for the type of cold hearted employer that won't give you time off to sign important medical papers for your mother!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It should not be a problem since technically you have not started to work yet. If they don't they are clearly not the type of people that you want to work for.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If they rescind your offer, then it is not a good place to work...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's hard to say. So many companies nowadays frown upon people doing things during work hours that aren't business. If they think you're going to make a habit of doing this sort of thing (even though you know you're not), they might say forget about it, let's go with someone else.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2010