Is Sun In Spray okay to use?

My niece recently bought a bottle of Sun In Spray (hair lightening spray) and used it for the 1st time yesterday. I didn't even know this stuff still existed. I remember my mom having a bottle back in the early 90's. Anyways, my niece's hair was a light brown color and it turned it a lighter almost blonde color. She is happy with the results. But she tried spraying it on my hair (which is a bright strawberry blonde/red color) and I told her NO WAY. Then I wondered how it would look on my hair but was worried about how safe it was. I googled it and got mixed reviews of good and bad. So have any of you tried it and had good or bad experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Good old lemon juice will lighten your hair NATURALLY.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Its basically peroxide and lemon juice. Its quite drying.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I tried it back when it was popular....its dried my hair out so bad.....I then went to cosmotolgy school and was told it just fries your hair.....but I know alot of people that use it and like it...I guess just make sure if you use it you condition your hair and dont put too much in it.....Id be afraid to use it on reddish hair...I would think it would turn it orange...it makes the hair lighter...not blonde.....
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is very drying to hair. If she is doing any flat ironing, or using any type of hair products that contain alcohol (which most do), she could be in for some serious breakage. What I would recommend is a great conditioner. I recommend It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask. Have her use that after shampooing for the next week. I have attached a post about this product: It's a 10

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I used it and I like the results but it smells awful for a day or so
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I used to use it. I got the lemon scented stuff. I couldn't afford to get real highlights. Now I can afford the real highlights, but if I ever went poor again, I'd use it again.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's about as harmless as lemon juice for lightening your hair. I've used it on my daughter just to bring out the blonde in her hair because she's got her daddy's hair - light in the summer, dirty blonde in the winter.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010