Do you clean your child's(ren's) ears?

Do you regularly clean their ears with q-tips? I do everytime they take a bath/shower, MOSTLY to get the water out but to make sure there is no wax build-up either, i was always taught to do that and clean my own every time i take a shower but i've noticed several kids who's ears are almost never cleaned and it seems gross and kinda dangerous to me, wouldn't it affect their hearing and cause problems with their ears?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 5:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Ye, I do. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You're not suppose to put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow! Seriosly though,q-tips are for the outer ear only.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I clean my kids ears every few days, not every night after baths/showers, but prob every 2 or 3 days. once I forgot to clean my daughter's ears for like a week & she was complaining it hurt, it was so gross in there. So I make sure I don't let it go that long. I've seen some kids with wax just pouring out their ears though. yuck
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• laughingNope. They are in their twenties. I think they can manage that for themselves!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Nope, never!! Not supposed to!
    MariasMamacita

Answer by MariasMamacita at 5:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I am ALWAYS cleaning his ears.. I HATE dirty ears on kids - its like little boys and boogers.. I am always picking at my son's nose.. ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes! That's my fetish... Weird I know. Anyways, once I babysat this little girl and she had SO MUCH wax coming out of her ears..i almost puked. It took me like 10 q-tips to clean them to a decent standard lol I was too chicken to go further in though..
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 5:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my daughter is old enough to clean her own but I do make sure that she doesnt stick it in her ear and I also use a bulb syringe (like they use for babies) and suck out the extra water and wax
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sticking q tips in the canal to 'clean' them can cause more problems than it solves. Wax in the canal should only be removed at the Dr's office with a loop or at home with Debrox. When the q tip is inserted, esp if there is a lot of wax, you actually wind up packing wax futher in the canal and closer to the TM (eardrum). ONly the immediate opening should be cleaned with a qtip.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I do know not to stick the q-tip in too far and i only just recently started letting my oldest (7yo) do it by herself. but it seems really gross to NEVER clean their ears, my son gets so much dirt and food and yucky stuff in his ears he'd probably go deaf if i never cleaned em! :P
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010