241 teachers fired baded on test scores and evaluations, agree?

WASHINGTON – The D.C. Public Schools are firing 241 teachers and warning more than 700 other employees that they could be fired in the next year if their performance doesn't improve.

The firings announced Friday total 302 school system employees, including the 241 teachers. They come largely as a result of the first year of a new teacher evaluation system, though 76 teachers were fired for problems with their licenses.

The evaluation is based largely on five classroom observations of teachers and their students' standardized test scores. Those found "ineffective" on a four-tier system were fired.

Washington Teachers' Union President George Parker says the union will challenge the firings for performance.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely not! Teachers do not bear the full responsiblity for student learning--accountalibity is a shared responsibility. What are the home demographics of the classrooms? How active are parents in supporting learning from home? How much money has the school lost due to budget cuts? How many resources have been lost that would have been beneficial to student achievement? How is it possible that all the issues that combine to create the performance of the student come to land soley and completely on the shoulders of the teachers?

I know that there are some teachers who are not great--but this number is not high--it is not the majority! NCLB is a joke, making teachers the scapegoat is unfair, and giving students and parents an excuse for not learning is pitiful.

THere--I feel better now. thanks for the vent!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm a special education teacher, and obviously I have students who are "all over the place" with regards to test taking, homework/project completion, and being able to grasp certain concepts. BUT, it is my job to not just create "one size fits all" lesson plans. I need to be able to recognize and identify the issues my students are having and create attainable goals for each of them.

I have some parents who are VERY involved with their children, and others who view the school day as a break away from their kids--and it shows!

Regardless of that fact, EVERY student can learn...it's determining HOW they learn and making modifications and accommodations to maximize their learning potential. Most of my students take standardized tests, and of those students EVERY one of them showed exponential increases in their test scores between September and June. I like to think I had something to do with that!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's hard to make a judgment based SOLELY on test scores of students. There HAS to be other mitigating factors...such as tenure, continuing ed credits, licensing issues, extended absences, poor lesson planning, and OTHER performance issues! Some programs may have been cut due to low enrollment or smaller classes being rolled into others.

This just happened with my children's school district...80 positions were eliminated...27 of which were due to resignations, retirements, promotions, transfers/reassignments, and licensing/continuing ed issues. In these tough economic times, those who are not considered ESSENTIAL employees will be laid off.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You support it for YOURSELF and for your conservie friends so WHY not here : ~ )

***
    THAT'S why I said "supporting" C&P!!

See, there's a big difference between being able to POST "headline news," and being able to DISCUSS headline news!! That's why I support my "conservie" friends and anyone else who is capable of doing so!! LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• DC is one of the nations most troubled school district. The city should hold the parents accountable for attendance, homework, participation and the teachers accountable for instruction.

Ms. Rhee(DC Chancellor) said Friday she took over a system in 2007 where 95% of teachers were rated excellent and none terminated for poor performance. Yet, students posted dismal test scores. "The move today simply brings things into alignment," she said.

~Sounds like the district did what they thought was right to make the schools a better for the children.... Maybe we should take the "wait and see", "give her a chance" and see what happens to the schools in the future. Obviously what WAS going on previously was NOT working.... And we know from history, throwing money at the problem doesn't help either. The money ends up more often in the hands of bureaucrats and administrators more so than the kids.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Supporting C&P!!

***

"[teachers] were scored against an elaborate "teaching and learning framework" with 22 different measures in nine categories. Among the criteria are classroom presence, time management, clarity in presenting the objectives of a lesson, and ensuring that students across all levels of learning ability understand the material."

"...teachers received a "growth plan" outlining strengths and weaknesses and setting out a program for assistance, if needed. At the end of the school year their overall performance -- based on classroom observations, student test scores if applicable, schoolwide academic growth and general contributions to the school community was converted to a 100-to-400-point scale."

***
    So there WAS more to being laid off than just simple test scores!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• THANK YOU, NP!

And loving, ALL of the teachers I work with keep snacks like energy bars, and fruit juice in our classrooms. One 10 year old student I know of, has coffee for breakfast...period! The nurse keeps donated winter clothes in her storage room.

And at least 80% of the teachers in my school participate in a "giving tree" that goes up after Halloween for families and children requesting specific items for Christmas. Most contribute an additional $25 to provide Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter meals for the families in our district who are the most needy, AND every Friday is "jeans day,: BUT in order to participate in dress down days you need to contribute a dollar to whatever local charity has been selected, and/or a specific food item for the local food bank.

I probably spent close to a $1000 in money, gifts, food and other donations just this past school year out of my own pocket.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• YES. There are good teachers out there, others not so good.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You have to consider the children they are teaching. Some C students aren't capable of an A. They all have different learning styles and some just don't test well. My daughter was a straight A student but choked every single time she was timed tested. She qualified for chapter help every year and the teachers just shook their heads. There has to be a happy medium. While I don't think just because you are tenured, you should be locked in for life in your position. You should have to do your job and do it well to keep it. They have to come up with a system that the combination of the improvement of their students and the quality of their classroom determines if they keep their job. My guess they were told ahead of time this would be how it was. Not much you can do if your students aren't capable of it. Not all square pegs fit in round holes.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Teachers need to be held accountable! No more of this tenure stuff! They are basing it on scores in the area. If it's an area of people who don't normally do well that is taken into account. The teaching system needs reform. Good thing for action!
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010