BANG YOUR HEEAAADDD!!! (And not to the music)

Hey all -

My toddler (14 mo) recently started banging his head - mostly when he's mad or upset or even bored - I'm a one man show and as entertaining as I think I am, he does this so much - someone please tell me what I can do about this, if anything? How should I react, if at all? My doc says to remove him from the situation that upsets him, but I don't know WHEN he's going to bang his head (ex: wants to open the fridge, I stop him, he yells at me and walks over to another part of the kitchen and BAM! Bangs his head) his poor little nogg'n has bruises all over it, I can imagine what people think when they see it - I feel terrible! Sometimes it's not hard at all, other times he'll do it on juuust the right corner of the wall, and the next day - big ole goose egg! PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son (13 months) also bangs his head or his mouth (usually on the couch or me). He doesn't do it really when he's angry just when he is excited. I asked our pediatrician about it and she told me that a lot of kids will do this as well as hit themselves, and it's normal. She said it is just phase and that he will eventually stop. Now because your son is actually hurting himself I would look for a better answer then I've given but I thought it might help to know you aren't alone. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• My nephew (21 months) did the same thing, i guess its just something that they go through. He stopped doing it as much the day he was outside in the garage and decided to throw a temper tantrum and hit his head on the concrete floor of the garage.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 1:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my son used to do this all the time, he still does it every now and then but not really. i guess its just a phase.. i just try and distract him from it because i dont want him to hurt himself. this usually works. just give him something else to do with his time.
    frankiezmama

Answer by frankiezmama at 5:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008