would you let your 5 year old grow her bangs out if that is what she wanted?

Her hair isn't all that long yet her hair gorws very slowly. She was born with no hair so it is just now to almost the middle of her back at 5 years old. I have never cut her hair other than a trim and I have cut her bangs. Well anyway, she was getting her bangs cut last week (I have no bangs) and she says mommy. I ask her what. She says I don't want my bangs cut nomore. I ask her why. She says she doesn't want any bangs she says she wants bangs like minw. Which mine are evened with my hair. I asked DH to see what he would say he said he didn't care. I told him I would have to put her bangs in a pony tail until they get long enough to were they aren't in her face anymore. Would you let your 5 year old grow her bangs with the rest of her hair if that was what she wanted?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are battles worth fighting and those worth holding up your hands and letting your child have their own way.

At this point? Hair is one of those battles I don't waste my energy engaging in with my kids. It's their hair. It's their preference. I'll give them my 2cts. I'll overrule over the top ideas. For the most part, though, they get the say. My oldest is 8. He goes off with DH to get his hair cut and tells the barber directly what he wants. My DD is 5 1/2. She'll be 6 in September. She too has say over her own hair style. At the moment her plan is to grow it very long so she can wear it a single long braid like "Fawn the animal talent fairy who is friends with Tinkerbell." :) She says when it gets that long she's going to have it cut off and donate part of it to Locks of Love. Her idea. Some older girls in school did that last year and now Meg's determined to do it too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yep I would would let her. I just let my 3 year old start growing hers out. I just kinda side sweep them into a clip/barrette.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sure, why not. It is just hair, and if she decides she doesn't like it, you can always cut them again.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If she had bangs to begin with, yes, I would. I never let my girl have bangs. I find them very annoying.
    For a chuckle, my grandma thought that only hussies and prostitutes wore bangs, so my mom wore them just to piss her off. Ah, old people. They're a hoot.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Why not? Her body, her choice!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yes! that's what headbands, clips, & barrettes are for.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Neither of my daughters have ever had bangs. I have them sometimes. My oldest dd's hair is past her bum at 3! She's had it trimmed 3 times but now refuses. Does your dd like having her hair cut?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 6:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My kids hairs cuts have pretty much have been what they have wanted since they were old enough to voice their opinions. My son has had long hair and short hair. The same with my daughter.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes. My kids are 3 & 4, neither of them have had their hair cut yet, they don't want it done... Hair is something that's such a small deal, they can have it however they want it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I had my oldest grow her bangs out at 6 because she looked silly with bangs.  Until they were long enough I just used clips to keep it out of her eyes or she just dealt with them.

My other 2 girls have never had bangs.  They are 7 and 4 now. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010