Spare me the political campaigning, but tell me-The world is so scary right now. What should be done to solve the environmental, social, and economic problems we all face?

silverlb

Asked by silverlb at 11:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Not to sound too simplistic, but, it seems to me that we as a society have sort of done this to ourselves. We (and I mean me too!) like to have what we want, when we want it. We are all spoiled and selfish. We have too much.

I agree with SabrinaMBowen, historically things have always been "bad", they are just so much more complicated now. If you truly study history, there are some pretty gross things that people have always done to each other, it just wasn't always known by everyone like it is today.

I lived in Germany and toured Dachau Concentration camp. At the end of the museum in large letters on the wall are a famous quotation: Those who do not study the past are doomed to repeat it.
    RNMOMO4

Answer by RNMOMO4 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I really wish I knew all the answers to this. I can't tell you how much this all disturbs me. This is our children's future and I think we are hitting the bottom.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• REVOLUTION
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 11:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel.
    Che Guevara
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 11:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I'm sorry looking at a history book tells me the world is no worse today than it was 50 or 100 or 1000 years ago... The difference is there are more people and thanks to the media we actually know about it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You do realize history books are not fully accurate and leave out a lot of details, right?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• if only there were a simple answer!

however, if i imagine that we lived in the (uh, my) perfect world and anything was possible and money no object, lessee we could:
    1. provide safe, affordable, proactive health care for all
    2. immediate implementation of restrictions to improve air, water & earth quality AND make vehicles that run on a renewable resource financially affordable to all
    3. declare that housing is a basic human right and enforce legislature to ensure that all can afford it
    4. enable anyone who so desires to become educated (eg, go to college) by providing affordable, but academically robust programs
    5. protect everyone from crime/harm by effective crime prevention programs

i'm sure there's more, but i'm full of cold medicine.
    yeah, i'm a dreamer.
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 12:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Answered at 11:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 by: njmommy2boys You do realize history books are not fully accurate and leave out a lot of details, right?

MY POINT WAS...  That I don't believe today is any worse than 50 or 5000 years ago...  There are more people today and a better way to hear about the problems that doesn't make it worse...  Did you ever hear about the depression?  the holocaust?  the crusades?  how about the fall of the roman empire?  I can keep going... 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If you have a world population of 2 million and 100,000 go to war that's no different than a world in which you have a population of 47billion and 6 million are at war... Nothing has changed since the time that history was present... There were always wars and famine, and depressions... The difference is that there where a lot less people through most of those times and the horridness of the world wasn't on the 5 o'clock news... That doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Welcome to life!

• *shrugg*
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008