• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my baby eat on her own?

My daughter is approaching her first birthday and will not feed herself or drink from her sippy without my help. She will pick up the food and/or sippy cup but will just play with it. If I give her the food, she'll eat just fine. She has never been an oral baby - she puts NOTHING in her mouth. I asked the Pediatrician about it at her 9 month appt. and she did not seem concerned. I work with her daily, but she just doesn't want to do it herself. It gets very frustrating. As a side note she was born two months prematurely, and we have had her evaluated by Early Intervention, which she has been released from with no problems... Any help or advive would be appreciated!

andieg221981

Asked by andieg221981 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will take time, but she'll get it. Even if you feed her, have an extra spoon in the bowl for her to play with. Babies learn through play, so it's a good sign that she's interested in the food, even if she is just playing with it. Enjoy this while you can, my 14 month old screams at me if I try to help her eat lol she's super independent now. Your dd will get there too!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Try delaying lunch by about a half an hour so she is good and hungry then sit her in the chair with lots of different colored finger foods on her tray and walk away. (Carrots, peas, pasta, cereal, etc.). You could even sit down with your own bowl of food and let her watch you feed yourself. Also, if you have any friends with kids around her age, ask if you can do a lunch playdate so she can see what the other kid's do. (I'm always amazed at what my daughter picks up from other kids or parents...things I've tried to teach her forever suddenly seem interesting when someone else is doing them!)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Let her play. That's how they learn.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Don't worry about it. Enjoy this time because eventually she is going to outgrow it and you will miss it. Feed her and keep encouraging her. Keep putting cheerios on her tray and stuff like that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughters 10mths old and shes the exact same way. I feel the same way. Now she wont even baby food. She want very oral either. But she was born full term, although she was hospitalized at 6mths old.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010