Where is a safe big city in michigan?

I like in a little town and i want to experience that big city living without walking on the street to get into my care and getting shot. I was thinking detroit but i can't find anything online and EVERYONE is telling me that there aren't any safe places, even the suburbans where all the richies live. I could stay in lowell by grand rapids with my aunt and uncle, but are there any other places that are safe but big?

Young_vegan19

Asked by Young_vegan19 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Travel

• Good luck with that! STAY AWAY FROM DETROIT! Most of Michigan is pretty trashy IMO.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• btw, what do all the abbr. stand for, i figured out SO (significant other) but all these "terms" are still confusing
    Young_vegan19

Comment by Young_vegan19 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• DD= dear daughter
    DS=dear son
    DH=dear husband
    IMO=in my opinion

Lol it takes a little bit, but you'll catch on. I felt so lost when I first came on this site! (sometimes I still do b/c ppl seem to be coming up with more and more abbreviations lol)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• lol, it's funny cuz after i re-read what you wrote, i figured out what IMO meant, but there's so many of them and i'd feel dumb to ask them what that means, so i was hopeing that there might be a page filled with all the abb. so i can translate :P
    Young_vegan19

Comment by Young_vegan19 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Go to this link: http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/11442691/The_CafeMom_Help_Desk_Ask_Questions_Here_FAQs_Tips_and_Abbreviations

They have all the abbreviations there
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I live just outside of Detroit and it's not as bad as everyone thinks. If I was you, I would go to Hart Plaza and the Ren Cen. It's wonderful. The river walk has things for kids to do and it's beautiful to see the Detroit River.

I wouldn't go in some parts of Detroit or any city for that matter at night but I don't think any city can ever say they don't have a bad side of town.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have been Downtown Detroit a lot lately on Movie sets- Lots of security though. try Ann Arbor for a lot of Pedestrian traffic and Chicago is really nice too! I have not been to Grand rapids. I think Lansing could be safe too- It depends on what you are looking for. I live in Michigan.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Ann Arbor is exteamly Vegan Friendly too! Try SEVA's Restaurant
    http://www.sevarestaurant.com/
    www.VisitAnnArbor.org
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Stay away from Detroit!
    Stay away from Flint, though that's a small town.
    Stay away from Lansing.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was gonna say Flint my auntie lived there for yrs and she enjoyed it...lol.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010