Obessive Cleaning?

My son is 2 years old and for about 6 months now hes had this obession with cleaning, everything and anything. Mostly he has this obession with the vaccum cleaner, toy ones and real ones. If we take it away from him he acts like we just stabbed him. It's quite scary. it's more than just a tantrum or anything. He seems to be completely enthralled with cleaning or wiping down and vaccuming things. Has anyone else had this? IS this just a stage? or something more..

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 6:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD loves to clean. If you're doing dishes and don't let her help, she melts down...like more than a temper fit. So, we just let her help. Our ped says that it's just her being independent (even though she's helping). They see cleaning as something that independent adults do, so to them...cleaning is a sign of independence...I just let her help all she wants...lol

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 6:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My DD did that at that age too..
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 6:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• keep an eye on it. OCD and other mental issues can manifest quite early.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I thought it was nice at first like "hey my son gonna clean up after himself" and then it just started to become this weird ritual like thing. Like he'll play with his popper and act like its a vaccum..seriously he'll pretend to wrap the cord, turn it on and off, and even realse the handle. I'm starting to wonder..
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Since he is only two years old it's obvious he has been watching you clean up. Children learn by mimicking what they see.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010