OK this one is good. Please read the question and stop to think before you answer. This one needs some reflection. It was brought up in one of my other posts by a very wise, kind, great woman.

How is it we can call our selves a free country if the people of one religion expect or try and force us to believe in their God?

I mean really think about it. We allow people of one religion to force or impose their beliefs every where. They expect us to except it. Well how does this make us free. How does allowing things that are only the way they are stay that way to a religion and still be free? It's an oxymoron it just doesn't mix. So what do you think? Does this make us free? What should be done about it? Any thoughts?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well, there is no freedom from defending your beliefs to those from a certain group that want to convert by shame, blame and whatever tactic strikes their fancy. However, we do have the freedom to discard whatever info that is thrust upon from this group. Why do some feel the need to convert or share the message? Another example of how organized religion controls people. I am sure all those young kids doing their "Mission work" did not conceive the idea of spreading and converting all on their own. No, that BS is dictated from the top. What's the goal? Expanding the #s- WHY?

Tell you what. if I'm in need of a religious fix or a conversion, I'll knock on your door, or find my way to a church. No need to seek me out. Thanks!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• People share their beliefs, but some take it as it being forced upon them. It is a free country, because just because someone shares their belief with you, doesn't mean that you have to accept that belief as your own. You are FREE to make a CHOICE. That's how it is free. There is also a freedom of expression, people have the right to express their beliefs. If you don't want to listen to it, tell them no thanks, and get on with your life.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Its still considered a free country because the state or government is not forcing a dogma down on us. Its not the other people or organizations that matter in that respect. Its how the government acts. AND we are free to ignore those other organizations as we wish. But the government isn't out to punish or kills us just because we don't follow a dogma and that's what makes us free.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• WHY bring up terrorists when there are some all-American religious nuts right here who tell you you are wrong if you don't believe the way THEY do?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with Soon2bemom16. Please let's not pretend that many people who proselytize walk away and leave Non Christians be. Many times they don't. We have people hound us at our homes, our jobs, even our children loose friends because of not being Christian.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I never felt like this was a free country and when those religious people try to "force" me to believe in a god I tell them were to stick it. I respect in what they believe in and they should respect in what I don't believe in.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• honestly, i think our country would be better if more ppl from other religions would proselytize a little bit and get their beliefs out there. if nothing else then just to educate those who take it upon themselves to believe every dumb chain email or stupid minister or idiot friend that fills their head w/ the lies about other religions. b/c fear of the unknown is the main reason for the ignorance and hate. these ppl are told that ppl from other religions have no morals and they are convinced that America will go to crap if things are changed. the more ppl realize that isnt going to happen the more free you will feel.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thank you Hot! Like I said you have class! Hmm among such classless women.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• clappingI have said this over and over...

But we are also free to be completely narrow minded bigots as well!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If you are talking about how people's personal voting preferences effect other people, then it doesn't matter if the person is religious or not because we are all influenced by something. Whether is be our religion, our own moral code, our individual histories, temperaments, attitudes, personalities, etc. But that still doesn't mean the individual isn't free. You are free to choose whether or not you want to believe there is a god and which god. You are free to choose who you want to vote for. There are countries that people can't choose that. Hell, our country used to be one of them and I am talking about the time where men went to voting places with shot guns. We are free to slam the door on whoever we want to. But what you seem to be saying we aren't free because of how the individual effects society and that is different than saying we aren't free country because the government is saying we aren't free. Cont.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010