Medical Code Help - What does it really mean?

I had a "suspicious" mole removed earlier this month. The paperwork I got from my insurance company has this code "EXC TR-EXT MLG+MARG 2.1-"

Can anyone tell me what it really means?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 7:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• I don't know medical all that well bc I'm dental but the ETC is extraction and TR is treatmeant, I would call the insurance and ask what the rest is and also call the dr's office. Make sure they say the same thing so that you know the insurance was charged correct.
    If I had to guess the MARG 2.1- would be the size of the extraction site.
    I've had a couple removed years ago myself. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 7:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's just the CPT code for a biopsy procedure..such as mole removal.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:bNfar5ci7NMJ:www.acr.org/Hidden/Economics/FeaturedCategories/mps/dev_rbv/5yr_review/AllCodesDoc3.aspx+%22EXCMEXT+MLG%2BMARG+2.1-%22&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShJOWhFNPPRjqXMvi0PPw1hxsGlyaPhPFljyqlH6ZYLLxoaEjp1Z97nLIiclNXJFkiSz1Zq5MYwTwbhqOwWnSA5oBrN9fSFlPkc3wztrEP3ZU1t3LIGFqGLNHEuAy6oA8L7zTgT&sig=AHIEtbS8wvDgo28Fz5QJFtFKW3bI_YYYSw

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is the transcript or written explanation of the numeric CPT code given for the charges submitted for the procedure you had done. EXC excision TR treatment EXT extensive not sure about the MLG and the MARG is margins or size 2.1 probably centimeters
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• MLG sounds like malignant?? not that yours is but the procedure would be testing for...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thank you for your answers... Just got the results from the doctor and the extraction was successful so I'm all clear :o)
    debbymichelle

Comment by debbymichelle (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010