Baby est. weight is 6.9 lbs at 36 weeks! Could this be a big baby?

Sono tech said est. full term weight is 8.5 plus or minus a lb. My son was only 7.2 lbs at full term! I am a tad scared. What was everyone's est. weight at 36 weeks. What is the average fetal weight at 36 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• might be, but my friend was being told her baby was measuring 2 weeks ahead of her due date and he only weighed 7 lbs. they had estimated him to be around 9 or 10 lbs.
    prego_jessi

Answer by prego_jessi at 7:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't look to much into it. The weight is a guess with a margin of error 1 pound either way so your baby could be only 5.9 right now. They tend to leave that detail out. My daughter was 8.2 and 6 days before her due date. You do sound similar to me but I don't remember her weight at 36 weeks. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 7:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Isn't the average weight between 7 and 9 pounds anyway? I think you'll be fine hun! Congrats!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sounds like a healthy baby to me. No reason to be scared! I never had the weights of my babies estimated.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My oldest son was born at 36 weeks and he was 5 lbs 10 oz. and was 19 inches long. My other son was born at 37 weeks and was 6 lbs 10 oz and 18 inches long. But keep in mind, that those wieghts are estimates and the baby could be smaller.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• What is there to be scared of?
    It's just a fetus! ;-)

Are you healthy? Planning a normal delivery? There is no reason to worry!

I didn't do any ultrasounds with my pregnancies, no guesstimates... But I did have 9 & 10-pound babies, lovely waterbirths!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At 36 weeks they told me my son weighed close to 8 lbs. He was born 37 weeks exactly and his weight was 7lb 8oz.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No matter what the "poundage" is, it is going to feel big. But I would not stress about it at all. Your body, specifically your tissues in your birth canal, are made to grow and streatch A LOT. The bigger question would be, what position do you plan on giving birth in? That will affect the pushing stage wwwwaaaaayyyy more then the size of the baby, as will the baby's position. Good positions to give birth in is anything that feels comfortable to you and is off your tailbone. That could be standing, squatting, side-laying, in the water, etc. You can also check out http://www.spinningbabies.com/ to find exercises to promote the baby to be in the best position.

squish

Answer by squish at 8:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At 36 weeks they estimated my daughter to be 7.5 lbs. She was born at 39 weeks weighing 7 lbs 12 oz. My oldest son they told me was going to be between 6-7 lbs - he was born at 40 weeks weighing 8 lbs 9 oz. There's no sure way for them to tell - that's why they call it an "estimate"

Answer by missanc at 9:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would guess the baby wouldn't be any bigger than 8.5 lbs
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010