How can I tell if my newborn is allergic to formula?

How can I tell if my newborn is allergic to formula? He will be 4 weeks old on Monday and has had issues with his bum since we brought him home from the hospital. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to the diapers, so we switched and it didn't get any better. Then we took him to the doctors and he said it was a yeast infection and gave us some cream. It then got better but 3 days later it came back. It gets so bad that he gets sores on his butt and they bleed. I just don't know what to do or what could be causing this. He gets his diaper changed every time he is awake, sometimes he gets changed 2-3 times while awake due to going to the bathroom. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Change his formula and see if it helps. I would change to one of the hypoallergenic ones. Call his doctor and get the OK
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughter had a rash that started at her head and worked its way down to her shoulders and was horribly constipated before I could find a doctor who would actually do more than glance at her and write it off as something unimportant. She was allergic to the milk in the formula and had to go to the hypoallergenic kind. You might call the doctor and ask about just changing formulas.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Could he be allergic to the baby wipes? We have to use Pampers Sensitive, only kid that worked for us. Or use a washcloth and warm soapy water, or just water even. I have a friend whose son is literally allergic to virtually all disposable diapers, any brand, with or without the 'crystals' - she had some luck with 'G Diapers' which I believe work like maxi pads inside cloth diapers?? Never used them myself, might be worth Goggling or asking here on CM. Maybe try a few hrs diaperless (on a towel)?

Are you sterilizing nipples, bottles, etc thoroughly? It's possible a bacterial infection was aggravated and he got reinfected after the cream helped the symptoms. (Nothing personal mind you, my daughter got thrush from a nippple shield when I was nursing - happens frequently but should be checked out.)

I've heard of formula allergies being more gas/fussiness, etc. I guess it COULD be that but I'd try some other things first
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I can't really answer your question, but I just wanted to throw it out there that it is not too late to nurse if you still want to. Here is an article about relactation.

squish

Answer by squish at 8:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Relactation would be a great choice! If your baby is already having these kind of problems, allergies and sensitivities are probably going to get worse.

Have you tried cloth diapers? Some babies have trouble with all disposables. I'm allergic to baby wipes and most baby products and would get horrible sores. Johnson's & Johnson's has several things in it I'm allergic to. I use plain water for my grandbaby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2010