where do I find the strength to do what I know I have to do?

Dh and I are getting divoerced. I am the one to leave the house as it was his before we got together. we also disagree about the custody and time sharing of our three children. I know I have to leave soon to save my sanity but I am scared to leave with all the uncertainty about the kids.

Asked by momto3again at 12:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• DO NOT leave YOUR house until you get legal advice, (unless you or your childrens lives are in danger). If you cannot afford an attorney, there are plenty of very good non for profit legal services all over the country. Look them up on the internet and call immediately. Put a good support system in place, family, friends, church, community groups, and even us cafemoms! Never be afraid to ask for help, you'd be surprised at where it will come from. Stay positive for your kids, strong for yourself, and you will be ok! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Answer by LRiegel at 6:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Your pastor, your family, your best friend and a lawyer and not always in that order are a good start to your support group.

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• If you don't have a support system in place then you have a great one with the ladies here. As simple as this sounds "take my hand" We'll get you through this. When I left my abusive husband and took our three kids I worked for min wage and was terrified we'd starve to death but we didn't. I told the kids it was a new adventure and that is how we treated it, in a positive manner even though I was scared half to death! Since everyone was scared of him he had run off my friends and much of my family. Going it alone was not easy but we did it. Stay positive. Keep your eye on the horizon. You will do just fine. If you falter, PM me or any of the great ladies on Cafemom. Draw strength from us if you need it. Hugs.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Contact a lawyer before you leave. It is important as to who leaves when the divorce is finalized. I do not know all the details so if you haven't yet, get that advice from a lawyer and he/she will guide you so you get what you want and need. Do it today.

Answer by manna1qd at 1:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

Answer by GoldenWhite at 4:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• God. just talk to him and pray that you ears will be opened to hear him talk back.

Answer by hendrickson at 2:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I too am going through a divorce, sometimes you have to walk away and leave things in order to gain. God has a plan for us. Leave it in his hands and he will guide you. Good Luck

Answer by divorced08 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008