What did you dress your kiddo in their first day of school?

My son will be in kindergarten but it's a full day and a lot of the day will be spent with the 1st graders, as he'll be 6 two weeks after school begins and is reading/writing. So the age range of kids he'll be around is 5-7 1/2-ish and I am curious what to expect in the classroom! Cutesy or grown up or trendy or preppy or what?

I am nervous about it 'cuz when I started kindergarten (In 1987) my Mom had me in a blouse and prairie skirt but everyone else wore ninja turtles, care bears, etc etc. Please advise??!! I was the oddball until I cried long and hard enough for her to take me shopping. Ohhh the trauma, lol

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 8:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in

• He's going to wear black and lime green plaid Tony Hawk shorts and an awesome lime green Tony Hawk shirt and some fancy new shoes....probably some DCs.....with his little faux-hawk and big blue eyes.....he's gonna look so cute.....I cant wait!
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 3:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Unfortunately my kids wont have that option. Their school requirers uniforms and we have to pay for them. Red, Tan, Navy Blue, and white. very blan, no individualism or creativity. When my son was younger and I'd dress him that firt day outfit was top notch w/ coordinating accessories to match.
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 8:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I remember the horrid jump suit things my mom made me wear. I swear they had to have been made from a scratchy sheet!
    Kyra is 5 1/2 and starts in 2 weeks. She's had her outfit picked out for a month! She's wearing a black skirt and pink t-shirt with her new dress shoes. It took her 3 hours of pulling all her clothes out and laying them together t put this together. :-) Just let him pick it out. If he's comfy the first day will be a lot easier on him.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Kids seem to be comfortable in things they like. Super Heroes seem to be in for boys.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• well,my friend's' daughter GIA LUCIANA went with a hot pink pettiskirt a tank top and boots and like a thin coat I just love her girly girly look! well I think for your little boy youjust put him like shorts,a cute top that he picks and like converse?or confortable shoes
    BlueballandKids

Answer by BlueballandKids at 8:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My ds is going into kindergarten too this year! All day as well! I was sorta worried about the same thing. I have so far bought him a variety of cool jeans, t-shirts, some button down t-shirts, some long sleeved tops from the gap, cords for when it gets cooler, a cool pair of cargo kackis'(i can't spell that woops) Some of the t shirts are sporty, one has megatron on it, a couple have motorbikes on it, he also has a couple polos and some long sleeved dressy shirts for any parties, xmas or picture day. The cool thing with boys clothes is the colors all seem to match.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We're homeschooling. I think some kids care more than others do about what they wear. Comfort is nice, though!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• well since my "kiddo" is a teenager. he picks what he wears not me.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• They were uniforms.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 9:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• around here the kids always wear "nice" clothing the first day, and break out the character stuff the following day! ha! so my girls will wear nice pants or a skirt and shirt... they can wear their character stuff the rest of the year.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

Next question in
Back to school hair cuts?

Next question overall (Health)
Do I look....