Something that makes me angry!!!!!

I live in Florida, there is a law that says that if your are a young mother who does not want her child you can drop it off at any police or fire station no questions asked. Me being a mother myself I don't see how anyone could not want a child. But I can understand a young girl who just gave birth who is scared. However everyday in the news (including just the other day) babies are found in trash cans and such. It makes me so angry.

This is the story:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/breaking-news/story/706919.html

This is the site about the law:
http://www.asafehavenfornewborns.com/index2.asp

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• There was a similar situation last year in my state I'm from Alabama. I don't believe that pregnant teens really do the research and don't know about the laws a safe haven locations

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It has happened here in NC recently too. They need to offer this information during Health Education classes in school. Usually it's school age kids that do it.
    Anonymous

• Constant education is the answer. We have a similar "safe haven" law in CA - as do many other states - but babies are still found in the trash or other wrong places. When an advertisement campaign is done to promote the law, the number drops. Then it rises again once a new crop of women who don't know about the law have babies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Safe Haven is an excellent idea but not enough people who need to know about it have ever heard of it. It might reduce the number of tragic newborn infant deaths if it was more widely advertised. I can't see how anyone can carry a baby under her heart for 9 months and then throw it in the trash like a used paper towel. I have to think their lives are so unbearable they do this out of a desperation the like I've never seen..
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We have a Safe Haven law in TX too, but I don't think it is made known enough. I think if more teenagers knew about it we wouldn't have near as many of them killing their infants. I don't think we would have as many teens having babies in bathrooms and trying to flush them, or putting them in the trash. I think schools should be teaching kids about this in the program the school chooses either the abstinence only, or sex ed program.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We have the Safe Haven here in Ohio as well and it hasn't made much of difference because there is still stories on the news around here where someone has left their child once again. I agree with the OP, how can anyone in their right mind walk away from a life they created and carried for nine months!?
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 3:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Not many people know about teh safe haven laws. Unfortunately the only time we hear about them is when something bad happens. It needs to get more attention. This needs to be constantly advertise to make sure all women are informed and know that this is an option. I'm glad this makes you mad. Now lets do something about it. Lets write to our elected officials asking no demanding that more information about this law is made available to all women in our states.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 4:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• There is a safe haven law here in Massachusetts but it is not widely publicized until you hear about an abandoned baby.  It needs to be put out there so these girls know about it.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008