Dear god someone who knows about hair coloring PLEASE help me!

Ok story time: I dyed my hair purple in a moment of, let's call it quarter (ish) life crisis lol. It looked great I was happy. I went swimming and it turned PINK. I do not like pink. I've spent the last few weeks trying to get rid of it. I've stripped it twice, and now bleached it twice and while it has faded a lot, there are still bits that are definitely pink.

So now, having given up on getting all the pink out of my hair (the rest of which is so white it's pretty much CLEAR) I am contemplating dyeing over it to my more natural color of a dark blond or hell even dark brown if it will hide the pink.

With my hair as bleached out as it is, should I go for "the color on the box" or should I go a few shades lighter in case it turns out darker than anticipated?

I've learned my lesson at least for another 10 years lol even if I'm still getting random weird compliments LMAO.

Thanks for your help!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 8:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• definitely do a protein treatment before AND after.. and at least once a week until you can get rid of some of that damage.

(next time you want a purple shade.. stick with something more red violet.. like a 6RV with a violet kicker.. it will hold better and will fade slower.. and give it 48-72 hours before going swimming after color)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Stop processing or you won't have to worry about it,it'll all fall out!! Get a cut and try again after a month or so. Get a DEEP conditioning.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• one- you can't go any lighter or it WILL definitely fall out..

It'd say go with something with a little yellow and a little green base in it.

if say your base is around a 9 (although you say some parts are clear almost so they are definitely some over processed 12's in there).. you'd probably want to go with an 8, I'd go with an 8 (ash).. (like in Ion 8A) with equal parts of 8 golden (or 8G in Ion).

in demi permanent..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would go darker than your normal color, and let it grow out as long as possible, and use TONS of leave in conditioner...like John Freida products. Then get a really good blunt haircut, to get rid of any damaged hair.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• if you decide you want a touch darker.. try a level 7.. I wouldn't go much darker than that, because after you pass a 6 it's going to look like a 2 or 3 if your hair is over processed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ion you can pick up at Sally's beauty supplies
    xxhazeldovexx

• I think a few shades lighter would be safe!

Answer by older at 8:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh I was planning on waiting at least a week to try and dye it, and I didn't do these processings (?) on top of each other lol. I'm pretty much living in deep conditioner ATM too. I already have really short hair so I'm not worried about getting it cut shorter, I do in fact need a hair cut :)

Thanks for the tips!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think my natural is a 7 if I remember correctly. Thanks for all the awesome tips!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• What do you think about maybe a henna dye?
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010