Swelling after abscess lanced and cleaned?

One of my guinea pigs had an abscess in her jaw lanced and cleaned today. She appears to be a lot more comfortable now that it has been lanced and is eating and behaving more like her usual self. However, she is still puffy on the side of her face where the abscess was. The vet left the area open so it could drain and told me I might be able to squeeze a bit more pus out tonight- because it was still swollen I tried to gently express anything and wasn't able to. There is no bleeding or leakage- just still swelling and puffiness. Does anyone know if this is normal after having an abscess lanced? How long does it take to go down? She is on an antibiotic for ten more days and will see the vet for follow up next week, I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom about the swelling.

Freela

Asked by Freela at 8:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Swelling won't go down the first day or so. Just continue to do what the Vet says and by the time she is goes back if it has not gone down then the Vet may need to do something else for her. Hope she gets to feeling better.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thanks! She is acting much more like herself and was running around with our other pig and ate quite a bit of lettuce and some carrot... hoping she recovers because she really is not very old and we would like to keep her around a good long time!
    Freela

Comment by Freela (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It takes some time because of the inflammation due to the infection itself and the trauma around the healthy tissue. My guinea pigs have had more than their share of abscesses from fighting with each other. Did the vet also prescribe an anti inflammatory? My vet usually prescribes 10 days of antibiotics and 5 days of an anti inflammatory medicine. If she's eating then that's a good thing!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks Izsarejman! Did any of your pigs have mouth abscesses? Hers was along her left jawline. How long did it take your pigs to start eating normally again? I've noticed she is still favouring softer food and has more pronounced ear movement when she chews... I asked the vet if her molars were maloccluded and he said no, but I am wondering if he is missing something based on her symptoms.
    Freela

Comment by Freela (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• One of my pigs, Pretzel did have a mouth abscess from a fight because one of the alphas hit him on the upper lip and it went all the way through. He had a cherry tomato sized abscess. We took him in after we tried to express pus and a lot came out, but it did not go away. He would not eat anything but Critical Care for a few days. If you don't have any, maybe your vet can prescribe some. The swelling took about a week to finally go down. I don't know what could be causing your pig's abscess, but even with humans the swelling takes a while to go down once it's been incised and drained. I hope your pig gets better!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My cat had an abscess on his foot once and the vet lanced it and cleaned it out and gave him an antibiotic. He also said we should soak the cat's foot in a bowl of warm Epsom salt water. I know you can't soak the jaw, but what if you wet a washcloth in the epsom salt water and held it on the jaw. I know the swelling didn't go down for a couple of days for our cat.

Hope he feels better soon.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010