A question about animal shelters...

I have a cat that I have loved for 4 years, she is now 5. Anyway, I just had her at the vet to get her shots and have a place on her lip looked at. Well, it ended up she needed antibiotics, so I took the money that I was going to use to buy my 7 month old a high chair to pay for the antibiotics. Now, they want me to bring her back Monday morning to have a really decayed tooth pulled. I asked how much that visit would be, because I have $25 dollars left that I was going to use for Wal-mart stuff (tp, shampoo, conditioner, soap, razors). She said it would be at the very least $55.
So, now I can't afford to care for my pet. I love her so much but we have been having serious financial problems. I know animal shelters are always wanting donations because they don't kill the pets. If I took her there could they care for her? Would they even take her? I don't know what else to do, there is absolutely nowhere to get the money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Call different ones and ask what their policies are. They differ. Sorry for your pet's condition.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm an animal lover..but your family comes first...i know around my area the animal shelters won't even take cats because there are so many strays...we also have a program at an are shelter that helps with vet bills when families have financial burdens, might want to look into that.
    JMAngel99

Answer by JMAngel99 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree that you could call the local animal shelter(s) and ask if they have a program to help pay for pets' medical needs. Will your vet take a post-dated check? or take payments? If not, call around to other vets and see if they will work with you.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Will you be able to afford the procedure next month? If so I would schedule an appointment after your next pay day. She's already on antibiotics, I doubt the tooth is going to do much harm between now and then. You can ask around about payment plans also if the cat has other issues or you just won't be able to pay an entire bill up front. Also, you can ask about CareCredit. We used it when we had a spendy emergency happen with our dog.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Sorry honey, you can't go w/o tp/shampoos, etc. You need to give that cat up. We had to relinquish our dog a week ago and they asked for one but I told them I can donate at another time, just not right now.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Have you talked to the vet about making payments? I know mine has worked with me in the past when one of my pets has needed a costly procedure. Or maybe a family member or friend would loan you some money for a little bit or even adopt the cat from you. Like one poster said, if she's on antibiotics now that should keep the infection down until you can get some cash for the extraction. At our animal shelter, you have to pay them to take an animal (not a donation) and if yours is like that, you'll end up paying them instead of the vet.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I would keep the cat. I would not take her back to get her tooth pulled. How many more things could they find wrong with her. You took her in for vaccination then she needed antibitocs for her lip? Now a tooth that needs to be pulled. I have a dog and it seems everytime I take her to the vet they try and extort money out of me for something else. Its always more than I expected or something else is wrong with her. Nonsense, my dog is fine. There are alot of cats out there who dont get any medical help and they are fine. You already paid for vaccination and antibiotic, the antibiotic will help with the tooth. Her tooth will just fall out eventually.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Search for local resources to see if there is any financial assistance in your area to help pay for the care needed.

I run a local resource site and I know there are many places that you can apply for help that are national websites. I'm not sure what I can post on here so if you'd like a link to a page that has a bunch of them listed so you could check them out, let me know.

There is care credit (if you can get a credit card) that can also be used for human medical/dental stuff too if that is an option.
    ferocity302

Answer by ferocity302 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2010