can you get a paternity test before your child is born?

i know this question might sound stupid. but my brother has a gf. she slept with someone right about the same time she got with my brother. she's pregnant but still has 8 months to go. so i don't want my brother to get excited thinking the baby is his since there is a possibility her baby may be someone else's. so i was wondering if there is anywhere to know for a fact who the father of the child is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree, it can be done but it's risky and expensive. Just keep reminding him that it may not be his.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yeah, they can do it but it's risky. It's best to wait until after the baby is born. I am pretty sure that they generally only do them before the baby was born when absolutely necessary, like if there is a rape or something and they have to prove the baby belongs to the rapist... although all of my legal education comes from Law and Order so don't quote me on that.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• She'd need an amnio,but those are not always safe for baby and mama

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's much healthier to wait.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• As the others said, it CAN be done. But it shouldn't and unless it's an emergency it's best to wait... In fact most doctors won't even do them unless it's emergency situations... They have to get the babies DNA from an amniocenteses which puts the baby at risk for injury and infection as well as it CAN risk accidental abortion... If there is no reason why it can't wait, it shouldn't be done...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yes but it's safer to wait
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• With an amnio they can do one, but the catch is that amnios carry risk of infection or m/c. It's far safer for both mom and baby to wait until the baby is born- then it's a simple blood test.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010