Is killing ALWAYS murder? Or is it okay to kill in some situations? Will god overlook it if you kill someone for one reason bus not another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No killing is not always murder. Murder is typically defined by it being unlawful and with premeditated malice. One can kill someone in a time of war or self-defense and it not be murder.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 12:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Wanted to also add that Eph 3 says "there is a time to kill" :)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 12:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No there is murder and there is self defense, if someone comes onto my property with the intention of doing harm I'm going to shoot them and I think God will forgive me because I am protecting my family.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• IMO: murder is killing that is premeditated and done for personal gain or gratification...killing is simply causing the death of another...

As far as how god would view it (regardless of which diety we are talking about)...I would think that would depend on how the person responsible views it...

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Okay, but how would god veiw it? And what is this "time to kill"? I don't have time right now to go through all the passages, but Scripture is full of times of killing in war and self-defense and it was ok. A time to kill, would be one of those. “You shall not murder” (Exodus 20:13). The Hebrew word literally means “the intentional, premeditated killing of another person with malice.” If it is not intentional, premeditate with malice or illegal, I think it's safe to surmise it's ok. Accidental killing would fall into this too, imo.

DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 12:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Killing is ALWAYS killing no matter what. BUT in God's eyes SIN IS SIN which means a lie is just as bad as killing someone BUT that does not mean the punishment for those things are EQUAL. God hates sin. But God forgives. If your doing something on purpose like killing someone and saying oh well God will forgive me that is hypocritical...The purpose of it is that you truly in your heart feel bad for something you DID already so you ask God to forgive you....You don't PLAN on doing someting against God then think it's alright to do it..But I do agree with the others...Self defense and things like that God would understand...Abortion or PURPOSELY doing things with an INTENTION is a different story.
    Anonymous

• God said,"Thou shalt not kill", that means donot kill. That doesn't mean, kill sometimes and don';t sometimes. It means what it says. Right?
    Anonymous

• Actually he did not say "thou shalt not kill" he said "Do not MURDER" hence the difference. The Hebrew word for murder literally means “the intentional, premeditated killing of another person with malice.” To my knowledge the only translations that still use "kill" instead of "murder" is the KJV. ALL other translations use murder. Compare with Matthew 5:21, Matthew 19:18, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20, Romans 13:9, James 2:11 This is a note from the English Standard Version The Hebrew word also covers causing human death through carelessness or negligence.

DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 12:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Murder is always killing. Killing however is not always murder. :-)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 12:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• In the Torah (which is where the OT came from) God said "Thou shall not murder"

...later translations of the Bible changed it to "Thou shall not kill"
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008