Is this normal?

I'm an anxious Mom of a 13 year old girl. Over the last few weeks she's been hiding out in her room almost all the time. I've asked her is something is wrong and she denies. She's not interested in talking. She's my oldest child and I'm really scared about the next several years. Should I do something different? Will this pass any time soon? I haven't pushed for her to come out.

This may sound like a dumb question but it's a real change in behavior for her and I'm concerned.

Thanks in advance.

wahmoftwo

Asked by wahmoftwo at 8:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• thats a avarage teen for ya
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sounds normal to me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Most teenagers do this. Just keep your eye on her and don't push unless there is somethng that really concerns you. My DD chilled out at about 16.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My mom used to threaten me to get me to come out of my room. A teen's room is her sanctuary. It's just a great place to go. If you think she is doing something wrong (drugs) or depressed then you could encourage her to do family time but they usually don't like being with mom. (sorry)

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thanks. I'm not concerned about drugs. Depression maybe. I'll just watch and see. I know it's a hard age. I just hate to see her distance herself from us. It's great to have a place to be reassured. My own child hood was a mess and I don't feel I have much to compare it to.
    wahmoftwo

Comment by wahmoftwo (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think that it sounds pretty normal. I used to hide out in my room from the time I was 13 until I moved out at 21! lol. If I was home, I was in my room.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Do some things with her.......manicure, pedicure, shopping? Visit to a local museum or something like that? Does she like to bake or cook? You could fix something for the family together. You want to keep the lines of communication open with her. Try to approach her not by asking if she is interested in something like this (so the answer can not be no) but tactfully telling he.......or present a list of things and ask her to tell you which ones she'd like to do.....must pick some. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Maybe you can do something with her this weekend just the two of you and maybe she'll let you know what's going on in her world.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about drugs unless you see symptoms.
    lots of 13 year olds are like that.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At 13 all i wanted to do was hang out in my room.. it was my free place.. no parents bugging me or asking questions! Now as a mother of 2, I wish I cherised that time with my parents instead of hanging out in my room. But oh well... its just the age!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010