what are the benefits of breast feeding?

Thinking of breast feeding for awhile but unsure of it. Can anyone give me any in sight and what are some benefits?

ezziriah

Asked by ezziriah at 9:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's free. It helps your uterus contract after you give birth, helping it shrink down. It burns calories! You pass on your antibodies to the baby. You do not have to worry about heating bottles in the middle of the night or washing bottles. I could go on and on!

I breastfed all 3 of my boys. I recommend at least trying it!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Most of all it boosts the immune system of a baby.With all the crap that's out in the world today babies need all the help with their immune system they can get.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• it reduces your risk of cancer. it reduces the chances of being a diabetic,reduces the chances of your child being overweight. you don't get your period for a long time after birth. you can lose baby weight faster. it has tons of immunities for your child. so they have a better chance of not getting sick. there are a whole bunch of benefits. i can't think of all of them. you can look up the benefits of breastfeeding on webmd.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Will help you return to your pre-pregnancy shape faster.
    Baby's poop will smell better than formula feed babies.
    Never have to worry about running out of formula in the middle of the night, worry about mixing the formula correctly, or heating it correctly.
    No worries about BPA or other chemicals getting into your baby.
    Portable and convenient never have to lug bottles or formula or worry about water quality
    Baby less likely to be sick and have fewer instances of childhood colds and ear aches
    Your immunities will be transferred to your baby, so if you get a cold your baby will receive the antibodies and they might avoid the illness or will not get it as bad.
    It is free.
    Great way to bond with baby.

The list goes on and on check out the La Leche League(www.lll.org) or other groups on Cafemom.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There are no benefits to breastfeeding. It is simply normal. It is what babies and mothers were designed to do. Anything else is a substitute for the real thing and can never bee as good as the real deal. There are risks to not breastfeeding. Go to a local La Leche League meeting and talk to some moms who are breastfeeding! Check this out If You Nurse Your Baby...

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Here..101 reasons you should breastfeed....

http://www.promom.org/101/

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree that breastfeeding is the norm and we should be talking about the dangers of formula and of not breastfeeding. Not breastfeeding has long term health consequences for mother and baby. Human milk can never be duplicated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i agree with maggiemom. my first son was breast fed and due to problems stemming from his prematurity, my 2nd son is partially formula fed. i HATE it. i cannot imagine why anyone would *choose* formula over breastfeeding. why would you want to have to deal with bottles, mixing, worrying about if everything is clean and rinsed, worrying about if you are mixing just right, worrying about if some bacteria might have snuck into the already scary *formula*. the word formula itself is scary to me. uck. well you can tell i'm definitely a big fan of BFing even though i do FF some myself. i prefer BFing 1000x to FFing. even though it can be tough in the beginning, that's for sure. you just need the RIGHT support, like a good lactation consultant if you ever have issues/questions
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I really think the other ladies have it all covered already. I would add that you should find your local La Leche League and start attending meetings now, before delivery, so that you're armed with information and support once you deliver. LLLI.org to find your local chapter.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010