How can I get her to stay in bed?

We just switched my daughter to a toddler bed and it's a nightmare. She is up every hour. I walk her back to bed and stay until she falls asleep and than an hour later she comes and gets me again. She walks back to the bed voluntarily and she was sleeping alone fine in her crib but now it's just crazy. I am SOOOOOOO tired. I am eight months pregnant and my husband works early morning so it's hard on us both, it's just so easy to pull her into bed with us but I don't want to get her back in that habit. We tried locking her in the room but she can unlock it and she can climb out of a crib so we can't put it back up.... Any ideas?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 12:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is she? can you put a gate on the door? And well other than that it's just part of growing up and a step that she is going through. Do you have a set routine? That can help. But how long has she been trying this new thing? it takes time and a lot of walking her back into bed.
    mommycrissa

Answer by mommycrissa at 12:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• A baby gate over the door, reverse the door knob so the push button is on the outside, a simple door lock from the hardware store, or put her back in her crib.

If you only moved her because you need the crib for the new baby, be aware that you may get her to stay put sometime in the next month but that will go out the window when the new baby arrives. She will regress in many ways, including get out of bed all night long again. That's normal behavior for a toddler with a new baby sibling. If may well be worth the cost to get a second crib.
    Anonymous

• How strange! The "annonymous" answer is mine. I never answer annonymous and I know don't know how that happened. Weird.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Maybe make her wear herself out before she goes to bed to make her tired and then maybe she won;t wake up. Tell her this is her new bed and the other one was for babies and tell her she is not a baby anymore. Tell her the other bed was like locking her up and she needed a big girl bed.
    Anonymous

• I was in a similar situation with my now 6 yr old when I was pregnant with my now 3 yr old. She used to sleep in our bed, but after settling into our new home, we told her she needed to sleep by herself on her Elmo couch (the fold-out kind, kiddie couch), but still in our room. She did fine with that for a while. Then we told her that she could stay in our room on her couch, but after her show was over, she would have to move her Elmo couch to her room (right next to ours) to sleep. She did fine with that. Then we started leaving Elmo couch in her room and set a time-limit for her. When her show was over, then she needed to sleep in her big girl room on her Elmo couch. She did fine with that. (continue later)
    cuby

Answer by cuby at 9:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• After she got used to sleeping in her room without major incident(s), then we started getting her to sleep in her big girl bed, by herself, at bedtime (after her show was over). When her little brother was born, she tried a few times to come into our room and sleep on the bed with us, but since we had the baby in there, we didn't let her stay there too many times. Instead, my hubby would take her back to her bed, talk to her about how she was doing a great job being a big sister, read her a story, say prayers, again, and she'd fall straight to sleep. I think she just wanted to know she was still loved and special and she also wanted to keep looking at the baby. Now they're best of friends!!
    cuby

Answer by cuby at 9:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2008