How do you know when a little boy is actually "ready" to potty train?

My son will be 3 in September, and potty training is very difficult - not much success. He just doesn't seem ready yet.

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think with little boys it is when they really become aware that they are going potty. I struggled and struggled and when my son started to hide to go that was when it was time.
    katykay

Answer by katykay at 12:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• That's a great question...my sisters boy was not fully trained until 5, yet her baby girl who is not even 2 is already trained!
    kathyjul

Answer by kathyjul at 12:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think it depends on the parents too. If you're consistent you can start before 2.
    ErikaM27

Answer by ErikaM27 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• He may tell you when his diaper is wet, show intrest in the toilet,Is coordinated enough to walk, and even run, steadily,Urinates a fair amount at one time,orcan follow simple instructions, such as "go get the toy". There are more, that is all i can think of right now
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Answer by KRISTAL_WILDER at 12:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• a sticker chart and cute underwear instead of diapers or pullups helped get all our boys trained early. They hate wet underwear and like having cool underwear and putting stickers on their charts. We usually had our boys running to the toilet and trained before 2.
    adamandramona

Answer by adamandramona at 12:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You can't expect them to just be ready for the potty because they wear the training pants. You have to keep with it, it's really a 24 hour job for you. Ask them every 20 minutes-half hour if they have to go poopoo or pee, no matter what they say, put them on the potty anyway.
    rileysmommy811

Answer by rileysmommy811 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Training is a process...I don't think they need to ready. You are training them to potty in the toilet...I trained my oldest two at 26 mo and my youngest at 23 mo. It took six days w my oldest and two weeks w the younger two. Patience. Put him in underwear and make him go every 30 minutes. Training pants or pull ups is just diapers.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 6:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think that when your child understand the difference between wet and dry then that is a good time. I brought the potty out at about 16months and starting to let them go with no undies on around the house when they started i just put them on the potty. By the end of the day they were going to the potty all by themselves. You just have to be consistent and reward them for doing a good job with whatever you desire-stickers, candy, high-fives--i did stickers and lots of high-fives. Constantly ask if they have to go to the potty and eventually he will surprise you go all by himself. Good Luck!
    amybuddy45

Answer by amybuddy45 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son started to pull off his diaper when he had to go or started to go. Hedid not like the feeling of being wet.
    tlist

Answer by tlist at 11:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The child will train when ready. He will let you know he needs to go. My oldest daughter started to train at age 2 but wasn't fully trained to age 4. She has chronic constipation and it made it harder.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 2:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008