unwanted birthday gifts

Has anyone ever gotten unwanted birthday gifts for their LOs?
My son's 1st birthday just past and they did call to see what he needed and they completely ignored it. I said no more 12 months clothes, but that's all he got. He's almost out of 12months and needs 18 months. I wouldn't have mind so much if they didn't tear off the tags, so now i can't exchange them. They also got my daughter 2T clothes when she's just a couple months shy of 3 and she only fits in 3T. I'm giving them to my brothers baby's mama. Looks like my nephew will have to wait a year to wear new clothes (he's a newborn)
I also said no large toys since we live in a tiny apartment, someone bought hima mini tent that takes up 1/3 of the frontroom!

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• do you at least know where the clothing came from? some stores will let you exchange them for a different size/etc without the reciept or tags..it wouldn't hurt to try, anyway. you can always tell they are new/unworn/unwashed. just tell the truth, that they were gifts and you need bigger sizes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Walmart and I already tried
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Wal-mart will take back anything, I bought a back pack and it fell apart a couple of months later, I took it back and got it exchanged(mo tag or receipt). I would try again and talk to a manager.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The one in my area won't. They are screwed up I bought a mini helium tank from them for my son's 1st and it didnt even work but they won't take it back.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• mousuke if you read the WHOLE thing it clearly states that she's giving the clothes to her nephew
    Anonymous

• be thankfull and pass em on for a younger kids birthday or post them on ebay or craigslist
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I know it's frustrating when people seem to ignore your requests, or when a gift isn't exactly what you wanted. But be gracious and thankful that they thought of your child and took the time to get a gift. Those clothes might come in handy for another baby--you could even give them away as a gift. And the tent is a cute idea, even if it is too big. You don't need to keep it out all the time. Just remember to be gracious and not look the gift horse too carefully in the mouth.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 10:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2010