My son's 1st birthday is October 24th. He will not eat baby food OR big people food. He ONLY eats Gerber Banana Puffs & breastmilk. Is this normal???

I have tried feeding him everything! The doctor says to feed him big people food, but he won't even try it....IF I can get it in his mouth...he starts gagging and spits it out. He weighs 26lbs 6ounces...so he is NOT starving by any means. I need to know if he will be okay just eating breastmilk for the main part. I don't want any suggestions on what to feed him...because I have tried them all, believe me!

JustMeAndMason

Asked by JustMeAndMason at 12:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't stress!! my baby is a week younger than yours & has no interest in solid food. what you're doing is great! it's soooo healthy for babies to be primarily breastfed for at least their first year. solids at this age are just for play. he doesn't need then at all. it's not til a few months after a year that babies get start eating more big food. so relax. this is a great thing.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I've been told that breastmilk alnoe is enough for them until the age of 5.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I never had problems with my girls eating food. In fact I could not keep them from it very long. They were both on food at 4 months. It is perfectly healthy for your baby to EBF. Just keep trying to introduce foods until it takes. Breastmilk-- Congrats for doing so well--- will be suffice for at least another year. Until age 5 is a little scary, but age 2 would be perfectly normal. I hear boys are more difficult to wean anyways, I will find out soon enough myself when I try to wean my boys.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• it seems like he likes banana.... try banana flovored things... or a peice of banana... or u try eaTING IT FIRST... my daughter ate whatever she saw me put in my mouth
    ladiesfirst

Answer by ladiesfirst at 2:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My daughter will 1 on the 11 and she too is extremely picky with what she eats, she has never really cared for the Gerber baby foods, but she likes oatmeal and mac and cheese right now, so she has that, milk, sometimes juice, depending on her mood and her cheerios *which I can't understand* but she likes them. My mom tells me it will take a while before she is ready to try much else.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 3:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think he will be okay. Just keep trying.. it's good to explore different tastes and textures at that age. If he continues not to eat much as far as food he may need to go to a specialist. My husbands cousin couldn't eat anything that wasn't smooth until he was like 8 years old! It would make him gag or throw up... some kind of thing with being really sensitive. But with your baby it's probably not that... just something to keep in mind if it goes on too long.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• try looking on Kellymom.com see if it says anything about this topic. Sorry can't be of more help I only know my bf kids wouldn't drink whole milk with out something "tastey" in it. Solids though were never a problem they still to this day will eat just about anything.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008