My son sort of spaces out and does funny stuff with his hands from time to time. Hes had a brain scan, and everything seems normal. I feel I need to do more? Any suggestions on what this my be or what I should do?

He only moves his hands when he zones out. He looks up at the ceiling, no eye rolling involved, but it looks like hes sort of twitching. His arms go out in front of him and he turns his wrists or sort of open and closes them...while he looks up. He stops when I stop him, I'm afraid to let it go on...They've ruled out seizures, and he only does this when hes sitting down, never standing up. HELP!

jblkwife

Asked by jblkwife at 12:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him to the pediatrician!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Its common. Its like stimming. His hands are most likely in his perifial(sp.) vision, its a way to calm himself down. What goes on before he does this behavior? How does he act when he gets out of it? Definately ask your pediatrician. Does he have other sensory issues? Trouble with eye contact, bothersome when touched, or not touching certain things? It could be simply comparative to a daydreaming girl twirling her hair.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Sounds like stimming to me, self stimulation, autistic children do this very often, it was the first clue that my best friends daughter showed in her final diagnosis was autism, mild and shes doing well and in first grade with very little extra help needed.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• He acts as if it never happened. He is otherwise very healthy when it comes to other things. Hes starting to talk, I'd say 10-15 in his vocabulary, hes very active, hes not moody, everything seems fine until he decides to sit down, or is in his high chair.
    jblkwife

Answer by jblkwife at 11:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2008