Fema question

I tried to search some groups posts to see if anyone else had posted any questions about FEMA but I didn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how much money we may get from them. Here's our story... We had to evacuate our home under mandatory order 2 days before Hurricane Ike, and stayed 16 days in a hotel and were without power for 18 days, and lost all of our food in the fridge. Our home was slightly damaged, and we applied to FEMA 2 days after the storm. We just had an inspector come out today and he told us to expect a check for some reimbursments in 7 to 10 days. We were wondering how much or little we could get, we are a family of 4. Has anyone else gotten any help from FEMA?

Juliebee81

Asked by Juliebee81 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't know exactly how much you will get, I believe they base it on the size of your family and how much damage your property sustained. I know that if you have damage to your roof (only certain types of roofs qualify) FEMA will fix it for free. Good luck, my friends are still waiting to hear from FEMA (they lived in Galveston) because even though their home received only slight damage they can't live there because you can't even take a shower because the water is contaminated and her son has asthma so she doesn't want to take any chances.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Okay, Im in Biloxi,ms and after Katrina, all families affected by the storm, whether you lost your home or not, received $2000-for gas, groceries,bills, because there was no where to work, everything was gone. Then, if you lost your home, you could apply for rental assistance, which is $2434 for like 2 months. Then every two months you had to show them receipts of where you spent that money and they would give you more. Then they came out to our house and looked at the damage, we had a tree fall on the house, and cracked our roof, so we had to repair the roof and replace the living room carpet and furniture, we got like $2700 for that. The Red Cross also handed out $400 to families. Hope all this helps.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008