My nephews are total brats!!

My brother and SIL don't teach them anything! They get away with the worst behavior and never get even a talking to. The most they ever say is "That wasn't very nice" Or "Don't do that." But the kids ignore them because they know they can! I started giving them time-outs and taking toys away. I figure they will at least know they can't get away with behaving like that with me. My brother and SIL haven't told me to stop. Do you discipline other peoples kids? Am I doing the right thing??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if they are in your care it's your call. and just be glad they aren't yours. hugs
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think you're fine as long as no one has said anything to you. We are in a neighborhood agreement here (I guess) and DH and I are constantly putting the other kids straight. One set of sisters I have had to tell to stop climbing on their own mother because it was rude of them. I was trying to talk to her about something important. She smiled at me instead of telling me to not discipline her kids. We all do it here if we feel the need to.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 12:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• You should talk in private without the kids there to your bro and SIL. Tell them how you feel. If they tell you that you can't discipline them that way then you can't even though I completely afree with you that they need to be. You have to respect their parents . If you don't talk to them though then where's the limit? Spanking? Yelling? There should be a clear plan devised among you and the parents of what is considered ok. Otherwise they might be mad at you or feel you stepped overline. They are probably just trying to be well liked by their kids, but all kids need to have rules. If they get mad at you and say something smart then I just wouldn't watch their kids anymore.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:07 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If they are relatives you bet I treat them like my own! I have babysat and with those kids they got put on time out- the old saying My house My rules.
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 12:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010