Do you think its selfish...

to put aside time to go to the gym almost everyday? I spend close to 2 hours at the gym 4-6 days a week, leaving my dd with my husband. He also goes to the gym and leaves her with me sometimes. We think raising our kids to live a healthy lifestyle is extremely important and dont want to be hypocrites. Do you think its selfish to do this?

Morgs7531642

Asked by Morgs7531642 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• No, you need time to yourself sometimes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• No, but make sure your daughter gets exercise too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Why would it be selfish?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• No, It's not selfish at all
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 12:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• She is barely 2, so we wont be taking her to the gym for a while. But we are already instilling healthy eating/working out/ ect.. A colleague of mine told me it was irresponsible and selfish to take so much time away from her when she is so young, which is why im curious
    Morgs7531642

Comment by Morgs7531642 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That is ridiculous, it is not selfish for parents to take some time for themselves, especially for fitness! Maybe if you said you went to the bar every day for a few hours it would be a different story. LOL
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Nope, it's good for you. Your kids needs a healthy mom. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Nope its not like your going out doing other things and you need mommy time plus you can teach her how to be healthy :]
    Italiana88

Answer by Italiana88 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Its not selfish, but you do realize that all she sees is you leaving (again, not a bad thing) and so this idea that you have that its teaching her to be "healthy" isn't going to kick in until you do it with her or she sees you doing it.

Our gym has a daycare inside and I see it as time that I get to myself while she gets to see other kids and have fun. In your case, she gets to spend alone time with Daddy and have fun with him. Win/Win.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Our gym does have a daycare, and i would love to take her, but we go to a VERY expensive gym. And the membership for a 2 year old is the same as an adult.. so until she can participate in more activities (they have dance, sports, swim lessons, etc all included in the membership) we wont be taking her. But i definitely see your point
    Morgs7531642

Comment by Morgs7531642 (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010