Are enzymes badfor us? Tide detergent has it init.I heard that chemicals are not good for our bodys!

Obviously chemicals are not good for us, does anyone use organic/ trader joes or whole food house products?Are they really good for us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We use Ecos by Earth Friendly. I buy it at Costco. I believe that the Trader Joes House brand is the Ecos

We don't allow toxins in our home..

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Chemicals that are INGESTED are not good for our bodies, but SOME chemicals are necessary to clean and sterilize properly. That said, some perfumes and dyes in the products we use can cause sensitivities or allergic reactions, which is why many products like Tide, have a dye/perfume free formula.

Personally, I think all of the "green" products out there are so watered down, they are virtually ineffective, and cost MUCH more than basic formulas of ammonia, bleach/or vinegar mixed with water (NOT TOGETHER!) can do!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Enzymes are proteins that catalyze chemical reactions. It depends on what they are in, and if your skin is sensitive to them.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Tide contains ingredients that are linked to cancer, liver damage, lung damage, allergies and skin irritations - (just to name a few) - do you really want to expose yourself and your family to this? I have found green products that are very economical , highly concentrated and REALLY WORK! I switched to these products 3 years ago and will not use anything else. I have 3 very active kids and i need products that work and are not exposing my family to toxins. You can view information about the products at www.SaferForYourHome.com. Please contact me if you would like more information.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Ill I know is Tide make my dh and dd break out yeah I think enzymes are harmful so are nitrates that are in most of the food we eat though
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I make my own detergent and other household cleaners. Initially it was because I have lupus and my skin reacts to everything, but over time I've learned just how harsh the chemicals in our 'cleaners' are, as well as how they build up in the home over time.

Your skin is literally the largest 'organ' your body has, and it's permeable. What goes on it can get IN it. I use mostly vinegar, baking soda, and salt to clean with. My house is clean and smells fresh, but it is also safe and not coated in layers of chemicals.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It really just depends on the enzyme.... generally though, the simpler the ingrediants the better it is for you.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• "Enzymes are proteins that catalyze chemical reactions. It depends on what they are in, and if your skin is sensitive to them"...I agree, I would think it would be better/safer.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• it's not just what you ingest... it's what you come into contact with daily... even shampoos, soaps, cleaners... they can all "contaminate" you...
    we prefer to use the most natural cleaners we can find... things that you could eat or drink... like peroxide for the wash.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010