Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to deal with my 20 year old son?

He strongly belieaves there is something physically wrong with him after a stressfull situation he passed thru. we did all medical tests and there was nothing wrong with him! He has lost a great part of energy and concentration! Thanks. Keeping in mind that he thinks he doesnt need theray thoguh he was advised by a pshchytrist>

Answer Question

Asked by moni899 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • It sounds to me like he is experiencing depression which is treatable.


    Answer by MamaBear44 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • that is a great question. my great grandmother has fibromyalgia... visit this or just go to google and type in fibromyalgia its a couple down the list, but you will see
    visit that site. everyone thought that my nana was crazy and just wanting attention but turns out that the doctor diagnosed her with FM. The reason all the tests come back negative is because FM is a chronic condition that runs through the spinal cord causing all the pain..the doctors dont test for that fluid.. thats basiclly what happens.. my nana says if you have good insurance go see a rheumatologist..

    Answer by goose06 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • that maybe fibromyalgia!!! ohh haha we were thinking the same thing goose06??

    Answer by maddoxsmommy605 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • I'd lose the fibromyalgia tag, especially at his age. It really is a true condition, however it has become the dump diagnosis. In the absence of true diagnosis, as mentioned above, it is now frequently over used to pacify patients when the doctor can't find any other diagnosis. At his age it sounds as if he has been unable to process and deal with the recent stressful situation. Counseling is definitely in order. More important if he isn't in school or if he does not have a job. Those are the main things a kid this age should be focused on. If they have no focus it spirals to other issues.


    Answer by peachqpti at 11:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Given your mention of "stressful situation" I'd go with therapy/counseling as well. Unfortunately, you can't make him do it. With my adult son I just make sure to keep the lines of communication open so that I could help him when he's ready. Perhaps he would talk to someone he trusts like a pastor, friend's parent or other adult.

    Answer by WD40 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.