How do I politely ask my sister if my daughter and I are staying with her when we visit?

I am visiting my sister and her family in San Francisco in September. I've never been to her new home, but I know she only has two bedroom and three kids. I don't mind staying in a nearby motel with my 2 year old (it was probably be more comfortable anyhow), but how do I ask her without it seeming like I'm asking to stay at her home?

I don't want her to feel like she has to make room in her home for us when I know she doesn't have the room...but on the other hand, I don't want to offend her by telling her right off the bat that we're staying in a motel!

Help please??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I live far from my sister and when I tell her i'm coming for a visit she will ask me if I'm staying over o r not.
    If she did not ask me then I would ask her where the nearest hotel is to her house so i can book a room.
    If she tells me to skip it and stay at her house then I would...but if she says nothing and gives me the number to the local super 8 then I know she wants me to rent a room without hurting my feelings...
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'd ask her what motels are near her. That lets her know you are looking and gives her the opportunity to say "no, please stay with us"

Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Just ask her flat out "Are you planning on having me stay here? If not, I'm more than happy to get a motel room."

Don't wait last minute you both you and her will be scrambling to not be rude.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• or*
    Deathlilly

• She's your sis so just come out with it...Sis do I need to book us a room or you want us to stay @ your house for all nite girl talk...All she can say is yes or no...Or just tell her yall will stay @ the hotel because you didnt want to put her out...I would want my sis to stay with me...its not like ur askin to move in...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Do what you want. Tell her you two are staying in a Hotel. Do not ask, just tell her.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• just say i can't wait to see you - i'm hoping you're not stressing about where to fit us - i was planning on staying at a hotel to make sure everyone has room and privacy, sound good?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• just come right out and explain your situation to your sister. she'll either say yes or no.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2010