MOM! I need help with my five year old son's sleep!

My five year old son has been a complete rock until recently. He cries at the drop of a hat, he is having a hard time sleeping at night too. He wakes up several times at night and cries till I come to his room, where he begs me to let him sleep in my room. I just don't get it. This is just not normal for my son. What should I do? I already have my 23 month old in my room (due to space issues) so I do not want another child in my room and this is just not normal for him...I need help! I have heard of melatonin but can you use that with kids?

MamaRoberts

Asked by MamaRoberts at 12:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Melatonin is a safe sleep aid for your child. My 4 year old is taking it as well because she too wanted to sleep with me everynight. Just make sure you read and follow the proper dosage, and you might want to talk to your family pediatrician as well.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My first question is--is your son on a schedule? My daughters are 4 and 2 and were doing the same thing. They were on a schedule before we moved to SC and we had no problems, but once we moved here the schedule went out the window while we live with grandma and grandpa for a short time. My husband and I just placed them back onto their schedule a month ago and things seem to be going very well. Do not get me wrong they wake up sometimes and want to sleep with us or want one of us to sleep with them. Usually we take them to potty if needed, calm them down, give them a drink of water or milk, talk with them/read another book, and/or explain that they are to stay in their room to sleep so they can get more energy and be big and strong for the next day. While Mommie and Daddy have to sleep in their room together. It seems to work for us. We give them a bath every night at the same time and have story time. Hope this helps.
    LuvdMommie

Answer by LuvdMommie at 1:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• my son had sleep apneia but his was because of breathing/asthma issues. he had to have his tonsils/anoids removed. he was having nightmares and waking up a few times of night. he would gasp for air in his sleep. he would try to climb in my room everynight. since he had the surgery, he does great- sleeps through most nights and has more energy. not saying this is what your child is goin gthrough but this was just my case :) i know the schedule thing really works and making sure that my son does not eat or drink after a certain time really helps too
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He is on a basic schedual, but this has only been going on for the last two weeks, this is NOT his normal pattern at all. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone!
    MamaRoberts

Comment by MamaRoberts (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2010