If the economy is such an EMERGENCY to politicians, why is Congress.....

giving ANY priority to Frivolous House votes on sports related bills and NOT focusing on things like cutting wasteful spending, a budget geared towards these tough times, etc? Do you think this is an 'absolute embarrassment'???
~~~
House Democrats and Republicans have put aside their differences this year to honor the likes of golfer Phil Mickelson, the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team, NASCAR driver Jimmy Johnson and the Penn State women's volleyball team.

But when it came time this week to memorialize the start of the 142nd season of the Saratoga race course in New York, one freshman lawmaker decided he'd had enough.

"It's an absolute embarrassment," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah, announcing on the House floor a vow to vote against all future sports resolutions.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is "favor owed" politics. They have to reward their benefactors and keep the promises made - to their large contributors. Most of us aren't "large" contributors. Politics is a sleazy business for sure.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• And taking half the day naming a post office after somebody most of us have never heard of.

I think we over pay them.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That's what you do when you are completely impotent.

Congress has an 11% approval rating right now.

They're on their way out.

They do this instead of committing suicide.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Excellent! IT will never pass but it's a start. I want congress to get back to the WORK they were hired to do. Sports inquiries, bash sessions and celebrity memorializing is not even on my radar.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Do you follow their twitter feed? It's enough to make me hurl. I don't know why I don't stop. Yes, I do, because I can see first hand what's going on. But it's like a train wreck I can't look away from some days, and I just get so MAD....

Government was not intended to recongnize these things. I get that some of them need to be done to be polite, but surely we can put a couple of interns in charge of sending out mini muffin baskets to recognize sporting events or such. Even if we spend five hundred dollars on a basket (which is crazy) we could cut our expenditures by a third.

Or maybe a nice little document on some fancy paper that reads, "the Office of the Congress recognizes such and such."
    an intern could do it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Give jess best answer and close this question. Her answer nailed it!

Doesn't matter their party affiliation they pander to the big money who ensures their re-election. The system is broken. We are 1 tweak from third world living where 50 families own, operate and control everything and the rest of us live in abysmal conditions.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Because it's not affecting them. They don't know what it's like to be laid off and scrap by, or live pay check to pay check right now. They are over paid. While they are eating their $200 dinner people are out there eating $1 TV dinners.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Because its congress

They have no basis in REALITY

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's congress and they enjoy creating imaginary crises in order to take away more of our freedoms/rights so that they can control every aspect of our lives.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010