I need answers about birth control pills!

I have never taken the Pill because of confusion about it. I've heard conflicting stories. How EXACTLY does it work? Does it allow an egg to be fertilized? Is there any chance of fertilization? Or does it take a fertilized egg and prevent it from attaching to the side wall? And also does taking the Pill increase chance of breast and ovarian cancer? The reason it matters to me is that I'm 100% against abortion and I don't want an egg being fertilized and the Pill preventing it from developing. I would like to get a new contraceptive plan and just need some answers. I know its possible to still get pregnant, just need to know the above questions.Ty

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Health

• I don't know for sure the answers to your questions, so I would recommend you call a pharmacist. They are medication experts and can answer all of those questions.

I do know that it's possible for an egg to get fertilized while you're on the pill, because I've had quite a few friend get pregnant while on it. :-) They carried their babies to term without any problems. I don't know, though, if continuing to take the pill while you are pregnant would increase your risks of miscarriage.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm not an expert, but the Pill is meant to prevent ovulation. Nothing is 100%, so with any method, there is a chance of an egg being fertilized. However, an egg can be fertilized and not implant, regardless of birth control. As far as I know, one of the ways the pill works is by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting.
    In all honesty, if you view that as abortion, then condoms are probably your best bet.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The low dose birth control pills allow conception to occur; they prevent implantation of the embryo.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2010