What if America were to place A Fat Tax on the Obese?

Marco Wanderwitz, a conservative member of parliament for the German state of Saxony, said it is unfair and unsustainable for the taxpayer to carry the entire cost of treating obesity-related illnesses in the public health system.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You can already obtain all of the nutritional information about fast food products online...via Google. It's shouldn't be a newsflash to ANYONE that fast food, pre-packaged and processed foods are NOT as healthy or as inexpensive as freshly prepared, basic foods from scratch! Those who have predispositions to weight gain are not the norm, and they too can benefit from a properly monitored diet!

And as for the "speeding ticket" analogy--ever hear of getting "points" on your record? Those points translate to higher auto insurance premiums, and can last for YEARS...so your poor driving habits DO cost you more!

This all comes down to personal responsibility, accountability, and educating YOURSELF! YOU choose what to put in your shopping cart, YOU choose whether or not to go through that drive-thru window, YOU are the one that chooses to call and order that pizza! The key to everything in life is moderation!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't care what you say... healthcare costs will NEVER go down. They will continue to rise and you and I will pay for it. The Government will play with our money as they have for years and years but we will never be paying LESS for healthcare.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Too much government interference is a bad thing. With Obamacare going to cost trillions of dollars, we will see someone propose this within 15 years in the U.S.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 9:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• So are we also going to place a tax on those who need treatment for cirrhosis of the liver from drinking too much? How about a tax on people who have lung cancer, emphysema from smoking? How about a lust tax for those who are being treated for STDs or who are dying of AIDS? (yes, I know that there are several people who caught these things from rape or partners who betrayed them, but that's not the point - there are also people who have a genetic disposition to obesity...)

Yes, yes, I know - they do tax cigarettes, and they do tax booze. But then again, they also tax candy bars and fast food restaurants...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree lori and itsmesteph. Plus, just how much government intervention do we need in our life? If we are to be offended about anything, it should be the members of our gov. treating us as if we can't inhale/exhale without supervision. My son is 6'3" and weighs 200 lbs. He is borderline obese according to his BMI. He wears a 34 X34 pant. In no stretch of the imagination is he obese, but if he gains 5 lbs, he will be taxed. It is a tax that is just as opportunistic as the death tax.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Oh, here's another one - should we tax people who get a speeding ticket, after all, there are countless studies that show excessive speeding is a big cause of auto accidents, and how much money do we spend every year paying for the costs of those accidents, whether in repairs, hospital bills (not everyone has insurance, even though they should - and it doesn't always cover all the expenses even when people have it) - not to mention the cost that's spent on the man hours of the police who respond to and investigate the accident, etc...

At what point do we draw the line and allow people to live their lives? There are higher costs of coverage for all the people I mentioned - whether for health insurance or for auto insurance.

I suggest that people watch the movie "Demolition Man" - yes, it's a stupid movie, but where do we draw the line....?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• 1. Making children weigh in like that is insane. Will they put a tax on the parents when the suicide rate rises? Really kids are very sensitive & under enough stress as is it!
    2. Before they start taxing us, they should do something about the food & us being aware what is REALLY IN OUR FOOD! But the govnt WOULD NOT WANT THAT! No way! Why do we have 5 or so different names for sugar/corn? why doesnt they put more healthy food in our welfare system & take out all processed foods?
    Make places like McDonalds put their calories/fat content on the board so you can see it when you order? Or go after the food companies for making it hard to make good choices & control their advertising tactics (putting FAT FREE on stuff that DOESNT EVER CONTAIN FAT!)...

Taxing the fat people wont help any.. They will become FATTER because they will have to buy cheaper/more processed/less nutritious foods.. Its all about educating! not taxing! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• china has some strict laws on being fat....
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 1:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Being fat and eating too much can be a misnomer. I am eight pounds overweight right now. I am also breast feeding. Some women lose weight while breast feeding. some don't. After cutting my calorie intake down to 1200 a day. (Dangerous for someone who is breast feeding, not to mention, I'm 5'8") and not losing weight, I scheduled an appt with my doctor. Considering my history of anorexia and pregnancy while breastfeeding, he feels that if I want to lose weight, I should stop breastfeeding.

Um, ok. So would I pay the tax for being overweight, or, would I pay a tax for not giving my kid the healthiest nutrtion possible? (I'm sure if taxes like this are entertained a hefty formula tax would follow down the road.)

also, what about the fat breast fed baby syndrome? you know, the one where they gain weight like crazy, and then level off faster than their formula fed peers? Under laws like this, it's conceivable that parents
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The people that would initiate a tax like that are the same people making it okay to put all the chemiclas and artificial sweeteners, colors, preservatives and who really knows what else in our food to begin with. So...maybe "they" keep people ill for a reason.
    Taxes, Rx meds, OTC meds, etc. Makes you wonder doesn't it.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010