Did anyone else feel awkward about breastfeeding their baby?

I know it is natural, and I have no problem with other women breastfeeding. But I knew from the get go that I was not going to breastfeed my baby. I never even attempted it. It was just awkward for me. Am I alone in this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't feel that way, but I know that a lot of women do. I'm quite sure you're not alone in it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It does feel a little weird but the feeling goes away once the hormones start releasing during breastfeeding lol. (It's the same hormones as getting an orgasam). I don't look at it as weird. Its natural and the way God intended. The baby came out of you and is part you. You shared fluids with he/she for 9 months. Their urine and possibly feces was in you too.The baby exited your vagina or abdomen. What's a little nourishment? It's less gross than what I'd say 90% of Americans drink daily- milk from Cow's udders! Think about that lol. :-p
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• For me, if I over-think it then it does seem somewhat awkward. As long as I don't over-think it, though, it doesn't bother me. :-) I breastfed my two older children, but wasn't able to breastfeed my 2 month old so he takes formula. I'm really grateful that we've progressed so far in scientific discovery that if someone needs (or even just prefers) to use formula, they have that option. And despite what the over-zealous breastfeeding supporters may say, there's nothing wrong with formula. It's a good option and sounds like it was the right one for you. You wouldn't want a feeling of awkwardness to infringe upon your wonderful relationship with your baby.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I felt a little awkward at first, but got over it. But my sister-in-law felt the same way you do, and she knew she wasn't going to attempt either.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• In that sense no.. Very natural & the way things are sapose to be.. BF is good for mommy & baby for numerous reasons..
    The only thing I had to adjust to was the fact at home I would be showing my breast all the time & in mixed company (like having my breast out with mom & hubby in same room felt odd the first few times)...
    For myself (read not meaning to offend anyone else) I will put my awkwardness aside for the overall health of my baby... I am sure there are many times in my childs life I will do something I have to step out of my zone for them for..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I didnt
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Not at all.

I would have been devastated if I had been forced to feed my baby a pesticide laded, genetically modified, chemical concoction.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• no. it's not akward.
    It was boaring for me though. I did it and was commited to doing what was best for my ds but when he started having reflux and throwing up each feeding,I decided that I just could not sit there ALL day w/him feeding. I bottle fed and I don't feel guilty. You have to do what you CAN. BEST wishes!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• nope, never felt that way. I am totally comfortable in my skin and have no issues at all with my body... just seemed like the natural thing to do. And I knew from the day I got pg that I would be sahm so again, just seemed like the thing to do. Besided all the money we saved.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When I had my oldest I thought it would be weird, but just the fact that it is best for babies made me want to at least try it. I'm soo glad that I did! I felt shy about it and didn't do it in public until I had my second. Breastfeeding is totally natural, normal, and has so many health benefits for both baby and mom that I feel sad that their are some babies who never even got colostrum.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010