Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Answer Question

Asked by beautifulwom144 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in

Level 4 (34 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • What's CDA??? And it also depends on the laws in the state you live in. In MA we need a BS or BA, then you get certified via a huge state exam. Then you have to get your masters with in 5 years to keep your cert.


    Answer by Morgain at 2:03 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • child development association

    Comment by beautifulwom144 (original poster) at 2:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • You can teach at a daycare and some preschools, but to teach at a Pre-K through 12th grade position then you need a 4 year degree in Education (Elementary or Secondary with an emphasis in a subject), and pass your state's test.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 4:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • Honestly it totally depends on where you live. Each state has its own laws on what is needed to qualify as a teacher. Teacher Certification Map is a website that may help you to determine what your state requires. NOT all states require a 4 year degree in Education to be a teacher in a Pre-K through 12th grade setting.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • SAHMinIL2, Not all states require a 4 year degree in Education but ALL states do require a minimum of a 4 year degree. Also, depending on the subject and the need, it can be very hard to get a teaching job without the education degree, so it is best to go ahead and go the traditional route, especially if you have little or no college education.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 3:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • I know in IL you don't need a teaching certificate or anything "legally" to teach in a private school. (Of course the school may require it, but the state does not.) You may need a BA to get a certificate, but the certificate is not required if teaching at a private school. So in theory, a private (or charter) school can hire anyone they want. I know a local private school that have hired Pre-K and Kindergarten teachers that only have a CDA. Also in the state of IL it is possible to get a SUBSTITUTE teaching certificate with 60 hours (2 years) of college credit with 2 years of on the job experience. (i.e. teacher's aide). I've know "substitutes" that have taught the whole year in a classroom.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • As SAH said, you could possibly get a teaching job in a private school. Even many private schools won't hire one without the state certificate, despite being allowed to. If you want to teach in a public/private school classroom over staying in the field of daycare, I'd work on getting a 4 year degree. I must also add, if you live in IL, teaching jobs are pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to come by today.


    Answer by KairisMama at 10:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

  • i'm not sure but here's a bump

    Answer by asil at 7:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

  • You can be a paraprofessional.

    Answer by garynjakesmom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.