Anyone having a discipline problem with their 21 month olds?

My son will be 2 in October, and although everyone tells me that he's going through his " Terrible Two's early"..I'm very flustered with it. I work full time and my husband is the stay at home dad, and we both discipline Kagan. We use spanking, and Time out, but Kagan still acts completely out of line even after he's been punished. Not even 5 minutes after he gets in trouble, he goes right back to the thing he was doing before he got in trouble! If he doesn't get his way, he throws fits, throws himself around, and acts like a COMPLETE brat! I was disciplined growing up, and I'm terrified that he's going to be a brat forever. Is anyone else having this problem?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 1:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is 2, rule of thumb is 1 minute of memory for every year of their age, also this is the age where they will do the same thing over and over to see if they get a different reaction, it is how they learn. repetition is the key at this age. I know it seems like it will never end but it will and he will learn just follow through and stay consistent.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yeah the best way to get him to know what he's doing is wrong is to just keep telling him no and that its wrong. my little brother is 20 months and he has been getting into the habit of hitting people more and more and taking things from my daughter and hitting her so we stop him and just tell him no over and over and we try to show him what he did was wrong i know its also supposed to be best to try to explain it to your child too even if they don't understand everything you say its supposed to help. good luck!!
    avasmommie711

Answer by avasmommie711 at 3:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• DD - also an October baby is doing the same thing. We just keep at it. We also give her a lap time out when it gets bad. Turn off the TV and hold her in our lap for the 1-2 minute time out. This tends to help and she will say she is sorry. Good luck and kep it up. This to shall pass.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 8:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I found the key to my sanity is to pick my battles....if it ain't going to hurt him or anyone else then ignore...but if it is something that is pretty bad and needs correcting the only thing that is working for my son is time outs. i have tried spankings but he just looks at me and then goes back at it and i dont like to have to keep hitting...so time out works best for him...it seems to make him really realize that what he did was wrong.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I TOTALLY feel your pain right now. my son will be 2 in November...and we're going through the VERY same thing. I just keep telling myself he's kind of at that "in between stage" ...and it WILL pass. for the most part though he listens pretty well...but when he doesn't get his way..LOOK OUT WORLD.
    I just try to deal with it one day at a time. it really helps that he doesn't ALWAYS act this way. he can be REALLY sweet when he wants to be. and he does listen fairly well...
    just keep telling yourself (as do I!) that it's just a phase.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 25, 2010