Would you be offended?

My DH constantly call me his "Old lady" when he's talking to other guys. I absolutely hate it. I find it disrespectful and degrading and have told him so. How would you feel. Any suggestions on how to handle it. I do realize that in the big picture it's a very small thing, and no it does not affect the overall happiness of my marriage...so save your breath with those kind of comments.

Kimebs

Asked by Kimebs at 12:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with you. I've always hated this reference to ones spouse. My dad used it all the time when speaking of my mother and other wives. I never "got it". If your DH loved you and cared about your feelings, he'd stop. Period.

One thing I do not agree with is, "in the big picture it's a very small thing, and no it does not affect the overall happiness of my marriage". I do not agree because it can start with little things like this, then grow into bigger, uglier things. Nip it in the bud now. Remember, love is kind....
    viking95

Answer by viking95 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Better then that "ball and chain".... honestly, my Dad called my Mom "his old lady" and my grandfather has done it.....so growing up around it I don't really find it offensive.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Wow I think our guys are friends! Mine does the same thing, he has never called me it in front of me. I know he does though because him and his friends call their girls "old lady" in front of me. I hate it too though! My guy is four years older than me and I always tell him if he calls me old lady than that means he's REALLY old. He hates the idea of being old so he usually quits for a little while. But it does bug me and he doesn't understand why either. Maybe we should call them our "Old farts" for a while and maybe they'll see what's wrong with it. Good Luck!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My man does it every now and then too. Doesn't bother me 'cuz well its part of the "culture". He's hispanic and thats just how the "O.Gs" talk. He usually just calls me his "lady" but he has called me his "old lady" before..and when he does that I call him my "old man". Better then some other names he could use I guess :)
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• better than broad....
    maddoxsmommy605

Answer by maddoxsmommy605 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• better than "woman"
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think it's sweet. My hubby started introducing me to people as his second wife. I told him if he ever did it again I would start introducing him as my first husband.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 1:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Lol, I would be annoyed...but my hubby calls me his "kitty" and introduces me to his friends saying this is my kitty...Rachel...*rolls eyes*
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• when he does it make your best old lady face and voice and says thats right this is my sonny boy. I did that once and he never called me old lady again
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• just refer to him as pencil dick for a while. betcha he stops calling you that.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2008